Apply to hold an event

If your event (except small family gatherings) will be held in Moorabool Shire, you must apply for a Council Event Permit (public land) or a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy permit (public or private land). Permits assist Council in ensuring events held in streets, parks, and gardens are professionally organised and safely managed. 

Step by step guide for applying

To assist you in streamlining this, we have outlined the step-by-step process.

Step 1: Read the Community Event Guide

The guide, which can be downloaded from the panel on the right, is to help event organisers and community groups in determining: 

  • How much lead time you need to allow when submitting your event permit application.
  • What permits and approvals your event requires.

The guide also:

  • provides clarity and direction to ensure compliance with Council’s requirements,
  • outlines the requirements of regulatory authorities and emergency services,
  • provides useful information to assist in the planning and delivery of a safe event, and
  • highlights several key aspects for consideration.

Step 2: Contact the Economic Development Officer to discuss your proposed event, dates, and location

Event organisers are responsible for confirming the availability, suitability, and reservation of a venue with the relevant body.

Submission of an application does not reserve the venue space requested.

Step 3: Submit the online application

Along with the completed online application, you will need to upload:

  • Event site plan
  • Event management plan
  • Risk management plan
  • Emergency management plan
  • All other supporting documentation required

Permit notification timelines

The permit application must be submitted according to the below minimum notice period. The below is a guide only with early applications desired and welcome. Application deadline timeframes are to be calculated before the intended event marketing begins. For example, if proposing to host a low impact event, the application must be submitted to Council 8 weeks prior to commencing advertising, not 8 weeks prior to the event date. Permit applications made outside the minimum notice period will not be considered.

  • Private/No Impact: A permit is not required (under 250 people, no road closures, no food sales)
  • Low Impact: 8 weeks (less than 250 people, no road closures, one day event, single location and other considerations) 
  • Medium Impact: 6 months (250-1000 people, road closures, 1 or more days, single or multiple locations and other considerations)
  • High Impact: 9 months (More than 1000 people, 2 or more days and other considerations)

Important information about Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy permit

If your event requires a POPE, please do not complete a separate POPE application, a link will be sent to you upon review of the online application.

A Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy Permit is often required for events that need to temporarily occupy a building or public space for a public event. Place of Public Entertainment permits have a checklist of requirements that event organisers must meet to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the people attending has been considered.

How to apply


To apply for a event or occupancy permit please use the online form.

Apply to hold an event


Step 1.Complete an application form

Download an application form by clicking here(DOC, 204KB) and complete all sections and provide all supporting documents required. 

Step 2.Submit your application

Submit your application via email to

In person

Step 1.Complete an application form

Download an application form by clicking here(DOC, 204KB) and complete all sections and provide all supporting documents required. 

Step 2.Submit your application

You can submit your application at any of the following locations:

Ballan Office 
15 Stead Street, Ballan
Open: Monday-Friday 8.30am-5pm

Darley Civic and Community Hub 
182 Halletts Way, Darley
Open: Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm  

Lerderderg Library 
215 Main Street, Bacchus Marsh
Open: Monday to Friday 8.30am-5pm
           Saturday 9am-2pm


Step 1.Complete an application form

Download an application by clicking here(DOC, 204KB) and complete all sections and provide all supporting documents required. 

Step 2.Submit your application

Mail your application to PO Box 18, Ballan, Victoria 3342

What happens next?

Once you have lodged the online application:

  • Your application will be reviewed by the relevant departments and may be distributed to emergency services and other agencies for their input. At Moorabool Shire Council, the Economic Development Officer is responsible for liaising between the event organiser/s and internal departments, and other authorities.
  • If approved, your permit will be emailed to you. 

Frequently asked questions

What constitutes a public event?

  • A public event is an organised public gathering for a common purpose. 
  • It can be a one-off event or on a periodic basis.
  • It is open to members of the public.
  • It is publicly announced or advertised.
  • It may be subject to a specific licence, approval(s), or permit(s)  

What about my private family celebration?

You do not need an event permit for a small family celebration. Please keep in mind Council cannot reserve an area in the park for you.

Such gatherings in a public park or area include:

  • birthdays
  • baby showers
  • wedding ceremonies

No items should be pegged into the ground as this can cause underground damage.

What about an event on private land?

Public or ticketed events held on private land do not require an Event Permit. Depending on the nature of the event and its expected attendance, other permits may be required.

Read our Community Event Guide to understand the requirements of hosting a safe and successful event.

Permits you may need:

  • Planning permit
  • Building permit
  • Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy permit
  • Traffic Management Plan & MoA(XLSX, 52KB) (Memorandum of Authorisation)  

It is the event organiser's responsibility to ensure all permits are received. For further clarification, please contact Council’s Economic Development Officer.

I need to engage a traffic management company. What is the process?

From 1 April 2024, the temporary use and/or changes to roads and footpaths, must be conducted by a Department of Transport and Planning (VicRoads) Traffic Management Accredited company. Only companies with accreditation will be able to work on roads managed by Department of Transport and Planning (VicRoads) and Moorabool Shire Council. Click here for further information on accredited companies.

Application process
For temporary changes to traffic conditions on roads managed by Moorabool Shire Council, the event organiser must submit a Memorandum of Authorisation (MoA) along with a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) for review. Temporary changes to roads managed by Department of Transport and Planning (VicRoads) must follow Department of Transport and Planning (VicRoads) processes

Accessible and inclusive for all

It is important to ensure event and activities are accessible, inclusive, and welcoming for everyone.

Consider those living with a disability, parents with prams, carers, older adults, and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities.

Read the Accessible Events checklist in the panel on the right for further information.

Sustainable events trailer

Event planners may borrow our Sustainable Events Trailer (SET) to manage waste and recycling at events.

The SET holds a set of four recycling and four garbage bins. After your event, empty out the bins at any of our transfer stations for no charge. THE SET is only available for low or medium impact events. High impact events must engage a waste contractor.

For further information and to book the SET for your event, click here. This can be requested when lodging the online event permit application.

Victorian Government COVIDSafe event requirements

Public events in Victoria must take place under the Victorian Government COVIDSafe settings. Click here for more information.