Container Deposit Scheme
Victoria’s Container Deposit Scheme (CDS) allows Victorians to return eligible drinking containers for a 10c refund at over 600 collection points across the state.
What is the purpose of a CDS?
The introduction of the scheme will:
- Increase recycling and reduce littering
- Provide charities, community groups, and sporting groups a way to easily raise funds
- Create hundreds of new jobs and economic opportunities
Who will manage the CDS?
Council is not involved in the facilitation or management of the scheme. TOMRA Cleanaway is the Network Operator for the Moorabool Shire area and is responsible for collecting eligible drinking containers and issuing refunds to consumers.
When will the scheme commence?
How will it work?
- Purchase drinks
- Return eligible containers to a refund point
- 10c refund provided per container which can be cashed in by an individual or donated to charity/community/sports group
- Containers are recycled for reuse
What containers are eligible for refund?
Drinking containers larger than 150ml and smaller than 3 litres which are made of:
- Liquid paperboard
What containers are not eligible for refund?
- Plastic milk bottles (these can be recycled in your yellow lid bin)
- Wine and spirit bottles (these can be recycled in your yellow lid bin)
- Cordial bottles (these can be recycled in your yellow lid bin)
- Fruit juice cartons (these need to be placed in your red lid bin)
Preparing your containers
- Containers must be empty and free of liquid
- Containers should not be crushed or damaged- the vending machines
need to scan the label, shape, and barcode of the container accurately
to provide a refund
How can my charity, community group, sporting group, or business get involved in hosting a collection point?
Groups wanting to get involved in the scheme need to register their interest with TOMRA Cleanaway.
Head to https://tomracleanaway.com.au/contact-us/.
Where can I return my drinks containers?
Three refund locations will be established within Moorabool Shire. Two locations will be provided in Bacchus Marsh, and one in Ballan.
Bacchus Marsh- Foodworks carpark, Gell Street
Bacchus Marsh- Location TBC
Ballan- Location TBC.
Litter and graffiti at collection points
TOMRA Cleanaway will maintain, clean, and service the infrastructure at the collection points. A team of field staff will complete daily inspections 7 days a week and monitor the site for rubbish or vandalism. All litter and graffiti at these sites should be reported to TOMRA Cleanaway at firstname.lastname@example.org.