Asset Protection

Council's asset protection program is designed to keep our infrastructure assets protected from damage resulting from building and construction activities. Builders are responsible for protecting the following Council assets during the building process:

  • Roads
  • Footpaths
  • Nature strips
  • Kerbs and channels
  • Drainage pits and pipes
  • Street furniture
  • Signage
  • Street trees and other significant vegetation
  • Street lighting

Builders also have a responsibility to protect assets belonging to other authorities, such as communications, water, gas, and power companies.

Council will not generally inspect assets within private property. However, photos showing the condition of any Council assets (e.g. drainage pits) within a private property must be submitted with the Asset Protection Application, prior to the commencement of any building works.  When this information is not provided, it will be assumed no damage existed prior to the building works.

Builders/owner builders, contractors, suppliers, and trades people must ensure damage to assets is kept to a minimum, and assets are repaired if damage occurs. Once construction is completed, it is the builder's responsibility to reinstate the nature strip (level out, top soil, and seed).

What needs an asset protection permit?

You must apply for an asset protection permit if you are planning to build or undertake demolition works in Moorabool Shire, as per Council’s Community Local Law (2019)

Some common building works that require a permit are: 

  • construction of a dwelling, unit, garage, pool house, or building
  • demolition or removal of a structure
  • extension to a dwelling
  • additions or alterations to a dwelling
  • construction or installation of a swimming pool or spa
  • fencing with continuous concrete strip footing, brick or masonry fencing
  • commercial or industrial development
  • structural or civil works
  • access to Council Reserve / Land for the purpose of building or other works

Other building works may also need a permit. If the building work you are planning is not listed above and you are unsure whether you require a permit, please contact us.


    An asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection. Current fees are:

    • Residential = $226.20
    • Commercial = $290.50

    How to apply 


    Step 1.Prepare your application

    To submit an asset protection permit application, you must:

    • inspect and photograph your building site for pre-existing damage to Council assets,
    • you can upload these photos as part of your application.

    If no photos are supplied, it will be assumed that there was no damage prior to construction commencing.

    Step 2.Submit your application 

    Apply for an asset protection permit online


    If you do not have access to the online registration form please contact the Assets team to request a paper copy of the form.

    What happens next?

    Applicants should allow for up to 10 working days for a permit to be issued. 

    You cannot start any building works (including the delivery of any materials and equipment) until a permit is granted.

    After we receive your application an initial inspection will take place before we issue a permit.

    Initial inspection

    Once we receive your application, a Council officer will inspect the site. After inspection, Council will outline findings and indicate any extra damage identified. Relevant photos will be attached to this correspondence. Commencement of works may begin once Council notification has been received by the applicant for the permit. 

    Notification of completion of works

    Once construction works have been completed on the site, you are required to notify Council in writing. If any damage occurs during construction, this should be noted and photographic evidence attached. The notification of completion of works should include the same evidence as the initial notification. If no damage has occurred during construction, this should also be noted in the notification addressed to Council. The notification should be sent no later than 7 days after the completion of all works.

    Final inspection

    A Council officer will inspect the site and confirm findings. A letter will be sent advising of Council's observations.

    If damage has occurred during construction, you will be required to repair or replace the damaged sections within 28 days of the letter being issued. Council should be notified once all repairs have been carried out.

    Your permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.


    Frequently Asked Questions

    Am I required to pay a bond to Council as part of the Asset permit procedure?

    Council does not currently require applicants to pay a bond but an asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection

    Residential = $226.20
    Commercial = $290.50

    How does council determine if damage has occurred?

    Council will identify all damage found in the post-construction inspection. This damage will be compared to photos taken in the pre-construction inspection to determine when the damage occurred. If any work has commenced without taking photographs, then all damages will be considered to have occurred during construction and Council will hold the relevant party accountable to repair the damage. 

    For further information contact us to speak with a member of the Assets department.