Our transfer stations, or resource recovery centres, allow residents to drop off a range of materials for recycling or disposal.
This page also contains important information about safe chemical disposal.
Transfer stations: COVID-19 update
Our transfer stations are open during COVID-19 restrictions.
We cannot accept cash payments, only EFTPOS.
For any enquiries please call Council on 03 5366 7100.
Please note: transfer stations are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday.
Transfer stations operate during normal opening hours on total fire ban days unless otherwise advised.
Address: Osborne Street, Bacchus Marsh
Hours: 10.00 am – 4.00 pm Friday to Monday
Closed: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
Address: Monteville Lane, Ballan
Hours: 1.00 pm – 5.00 pm Wednesday to Monday Closed: Tuesday
Address: Ballan-Egerton Road, Mount Egerton
Hours: 12 noon – 5.00 pm Saturday and Sunday
Closed: Monday to Friday
Transfer stations accept these items:
Free of charge:
- Household recyclables
- Electrical and electronic waste (e-waste)
- White goods: washing machines, fridges etc
- Scrap metal
- Fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent light globes
- Household, NBN and car batteries
- Motor oil (Got cooking oil? Check the Yellow Pages for local disposal specialists)
Half cost gate fee:
- Clean garden waste (green waste). Contaminated materials accepted at full cost.
Charged at cost - please refer to gate fee table below
- Domestic waste
- Hard rubbish e.g. furniture, mattresses
- Trucks with loads up to 5 cubic metres
Transfer Stations do not accept:
- Building rubble, bricks, soil, and cement
Fees and charges for 2020-21 financial year
These fees are in effect at all transfer stations from 31 August 2020.
|Type of Vehicle
||Residents ( Photo ID Required)
| Car or station wagon
Small trailer (up to 1.8 x 1.2 x 0.3m) or ute
| Small trailer (heaped)
| Small trailer (high sides)
| Large trailer
| Large trailer (heaped)
| Large trailer (high sides)
| Truck per m3 of waste
| Mattress (per piece, any size)
|| $40.00 each
|| $40.00 each
| Tyre Types
| Car (tyres on rims)
|Light Truck and 4WD
|Light truck and 4WD (tyres on rim)
|Heavy Truck Super Single
|Heavy Truck (tyres on rims)
Transfer Station Vouchers
Residents who are not in an area serviced by Council’s waste collections are able to purchase 1 sheet of 26 vouchers per year for $92.00 including GST.
The vouchers are available for purchase at Council’s service centres.
1 voucher entitles you to 1/3 of a cubic metre (equal to a 240 litre wheelie bin of waste) or 4 vouchers for a small level trailer load (6 m x 4 m).
Additional vouchers may be required for a heaped small trailer.
Use your vouchers wisely
Kerbside recyclables separated from other materials can be disposed of free of charge.
Save your vouchers for disposal of household waste that can only go to landfill.
Disposing of chemicals
Do the right thing for the safety of your family, pets, livestock, and the environment.
Household Chemicals (Detox Your Home)
Detox Your Home (DYH) is a service for the disposal of many household chemicals, including:
- Cooking oil
DYH single-day collection events rotate throughout the state during the year. All are free and open to householders from anywhere in Victoria.
For information on dates, locations, and items accepted, please visit Sustainability Victoria.
Paint should be taken to Ballarat or Melton transfer stations (empty paint tins can go into your recycling bin).
- Unwanted agricultural or non-household chemicals need to be disposed of through the ChemClear program.
- Register your chemicals to be included in the next scheduled collection. Costs may apply depending on the type of chemical.
- Empty farm chemical containers and drums can be dropped off for free at Council’s transfer stations in Bacchus Marsh, Ballan, and Mt Egerton
- Please follow safe disposal via the drumMUSTER program
- Incoming containers and drums are regularly inspected by the transfer station operator and must be:
- Triple-rinsed and free of chemical residue
- Clean and dry
- Punctured if metal
- Free of any lids
Please consult these free resources to learn more
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I misplace my waste vouchers?
Unfortunately Council is unable to re-issue misplaced vouchers. It is the responsibility of the resident to keep vouchers in a safe place.
Can I purchase additional waste vouchers?
Only one sheet (26 vouchers) can be purchased by residents in a non-serviced area per year.
Can I use my waste vouchers after the expiry date?
The expiry date printed on the transfer station vouchers allows for some overlap into the following financial year, however vouchers will not be accepted after the expiry date. There is also no refund on unused vouchers. Please plan ahead to ensure you are able to utilise your current vouchers.
Litter and dumping