Overland flow or flooding

The Water Act 1989 (Victoria), states there is no legal liability when water flows across a boundary. This is water resulting from rain, floods, or the slope of the land).

If a neighbour causes the flow of water to change, the occupier may be able to take legal action. The occupier can also claim compensation for any damage caused. Note that a drainage easement (registered on the land title documents) gives a person the legal authority to direct water onto another's land.