Public health

Find out what Council does in helping to prevent and investigate disease outbreaks so that the whole community can stay well.

How we manage public health in the community

Council has a responsibility to prevent and investigate disease outbreaks in the community.

We achieve this through a range of measures, including: 

  • Food safety measures
  • Immunisation programs 
  • Monitoring of public pools and wastewater 
  • Investigating food poisoning incidents  


Secondary school immunisations

Council conducts 3 immunisation sessions at all secondary schools in Moorabool every year. We distribute an information package with letters and immunisation consent cards to parents.  

Recommended vaccines for high school students:

Year 7 (12-13 years) Secondary School Students

  • HPV - Human Papillomavirus (2-dose course)
  • Boostrix vaccination - diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (whooping cough (1 dose))

Year 10 Secondary School Students

  • Meningococcal ACWY (1 dose)

Council holds all immunisation records. 

To obtain a copy of your immunisation history contact our Environmental Health Dept.

Find out more from Health Victoria about schedules and vaccine eligibility.  

Read the latest State Government information on schools' immunisation program

Infant immunisations

Infants (6 weeks to 6 years) can get free immunisations from your local GP. 

Our Maternal and Child Health (M&CH) service plays a very important role in promoting the importance of immunisation. We can help with schedules and ensuring the child’s immunisations are up-to-date.  

Our Environmental Health Unit promotes the importance of immunisation among local health professionals to ensure early childhood vaccination rates are above the State average.  

Get in touch with our Environmental Health Unit.  

Public swimming pools and spas

We test public swimming pools and spas to ensure they meet the requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.  

Read the State Government's guide to maintaining a clean and healthy swimming pool.

Notifiable diseases

A notifiable disease is generally an infectious disease, which is confirmed by your GP or hospital. 

Council will then be notified to contact you to begin the investigation. This may involve an interview to determine the source of the disease or to locate the place of infection.


Tobacco Retailers

We conduct tests to ensure that tobacco retailers are not selling their products to anyone under the age of 18. To file a complaint, call the Environmental Health Unit on (03) 5366 7100.  

Read the Tobacco Retailers' Guide about the laws regarding the sale of tobacco

Tobacco bans on outdoor areas and dining

Residents are reminded that smoking is prohibited in the following spaces: 

  • Within 4 metres of an entrance to a children’s indoor play centre
  • Around public hospitals, registered community health centres, and certain Victorian Government buildings
  • In outdoor areas where children and young people go for recreational and sporting activities 
  • In outdoor areas at hospitality and food venues used for eating food  

Read more about the rules governing outdoor smoking:

State Government's Tobacco Reforms page

Making children's recreational areas smoke-free

Call the Tobacco Information Line on 1300 136 775.