Fire prevention

Council undertakes fire prevention measures within the municipality to protect residents.

Make sure you reduce fire risk and participate in fire prevention measures wherever possible.

The Fire Danger period for Moorabool will end on Monday 17 April 2023. 

Fire safety in Moorabool Shire

Burning Off

Burning off is restricted in certain areas of Moorabool Shire and during the Declared Fire Danger Period. Residents need to apply for a permit prior to light any fires. You are not allowed to burn household rubbish, building waste or noxious materials like tyres or chemicals.

Fire Danger Period

The lighting of fires is restricted during the Declared Fire Danger Period. Residents need to check the CFA website or contact us to find out if restrictions are in force. This information is also displayed in local newspapers. Local Law permits to burn will not be issued at this time.

Declared Fire Season by Municipality

Local Law Part 2 - Open Air Burning

Residents may apply for a Local Law Permit to burn outside of the Declared Fire Danger Period.  This application must be completed and returned to the Community Safety department at least ten working days prior to the proposed burn.

Apply for a local law permit to burn(PDF, 288KB)

Country Fire Authority Regulations and Permits

New process

Schedule 13 permits will now be issued during the Declared Fire Danger Period via a new online system Fire Permits Victoria. The new online system allows Victorians to create an account to apply for fire permits when fire restrictions are in place or on a day of total fire ban (TFB). The website is a collaboration of all of Victoria’s fire services - CFA, DELWP and FRV.

Schedule 13 permits are no longer available through Council, refer to the Fire Permits website.

  • Victorians can now apply for a fire permit online in a single place using a desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone at
  • Using the new Fire Permits Victoria website, residents and businesses using fire or heat sources such as commercial catering, fireworks, welding and more can use it to:
    • Check if they need a fire permit.
    • Apply for a fire permit.
    • Notify authorities that they are using a permit
    • Register a burn-off when restrictions are not in place.
  • Individuals can still apply for a permit in person if needed by visiting a DELWP, CFA or FRV district office or website and mailing in a paper application
  • Permits can be issued via the mail instead of email
  • Fire Permits Victoria makes it easy for permit holders to use the online system to notify the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) and fire agencies when approved permits will be used


For further information head to the Fire Permits website.

Australian Fire Danger Rating System

(DOCX, 27KB)(DOCX, 26KB)(PDF, 139KB)A new Australian Fire Danger Rating System is in place, as of the 1st September 2022. 

Fire Danger Ratings tell you how dangerous a fire could be if one started. They are issued on days when there is a fire risk.

They are important because they provide people with information so that they can take action to protect themselves and others from the potentially dangerous impacts of bushfires and grassfires.

There are four levels of fire danger in the new system:

  • Moderate - Plan and prepare
  • High - Be ready to act
  • Extreme - Take action now to protect your life and property
  • Catastrophic - For your survival, leave bushfire risk areas


To find out more, including which actions you should take at each of these levels, visit the CFA website. 

Local grass slashing contractors

(DOCX, 27KB)(DOCX, 26KB)Find grass slashing contractors in Moorabool(PDF, 139KB)

For further information about fire preparedness head to the CFA website

Bushfire Resilience Inc. (BRI) is a local community organisation whose aim is to provide bushfire information to households based on science, experience and best practice. This will enable households to acquire knowledge, and by being better informed, empower them to make better decisions in preparing for, and responding to the threat of bushfire. Find out more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Whose responsibility is it to maintain the grass / fire hazards on the nature strip?

The Land Owner is responsible to maintain the grass / fire hazards on the nature strip.

If you would like to have a fire notice - works completion date extended can this be arranged?

If you do not believe you will be able to comply with your notice by the due date given, please email with your notice number, the block address and the date that you will be able to comply with the notice. 


Can I report someones property as a fire risk?

Reports of Unsightly Land which relate to Long Grass in residential (House or Vacant Residential Block) areas, can be reported as a Fire Prevention / Hazard to the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer, however, if this property is being reported for the risk of snake infestation only, this is not handled by Council and landowners are responsible to remove or pay for the removal of snakes via a snake catcher from private property.