If your dog or cat meets one or more of the following you will be eligible for a reduced fee.
If the dog or cat is:
- over 10 years of age, or
- kept for breeding at a registered domestic animal business, or
- registered with an applicable organisation and the owner is also a member of that applicable organisation,
- a dog that has undergone obedience training with an approved organisations, or
- a dog kept for the purpose of working stock.
Applicable organisations are:
- Dogs Victoria
- Master Dog Breeders & Associates
- Responsible Pet Breeders Australia
- Australian National Cats Inc.
- Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
- The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.
Approved organisations - Obedience Training are:
- Dogs Victoria
- Australian Association of Professional Dog Trainers Inc.
- The Kintala Dog Club Association Inc.
- Four Paws K9 Training
Council now offers a refund for domestic animal registration under Section 15(3) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994 where evidence from an owner’s medical practitioner is provided to Council that the animal is an assistance animal as defined under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992. Further evidence is also required to show that the animal is microchipped.
To apply for a refund please submit a refund request form with the required documentation which is outlined under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.
The Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth) (DDA) in Section 9, sets out the legal definition of an assistance animal as a dog or other animal that:
(a) is accredited under a State or Territory law to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effects of disability; or
(b) is accredited by an animal training organisation prescribed in the regulations; or
(c) is trained to assist a person with a disability to alleviate the effect of the disability and meets standards of hygiene and behaviour that are appropriate for an animal in a public place.
*To qualify for a reduced registration fee you must provide documentary proof.
Pensioner discount only applies to current full Pensioner Concession Card, Department Veteran Affairs TPI or War Widow card holders.