Roads and transport

Council manages and maintains 1,440 km of sealed and unsealed local roads. These services include bridges, paths, roadside drainage, and traffic management.

Image of road works

Find the following policies, plans, and strategy documents:

Jump to the relevant section:


Download our Road Management Plan.(PDF, 8MB)

The Road Management Plan (RMP) outlines how we manage the municipality's 1,440 km road network.

This includes:

  • The road assets which Council maintains on behalf of the Community
  • The responsibilities of Council in relation to their management
  • Performance standards in relation to the condition and affordability of road assets
  • Policies and procedures in relation to the ongoing risk inspection of road assets
  • Intervention levels and associated response times

We review and update the RMP every 4 years.

Sealing of Unsealed Roads

View our Sealing of Unsealed Roads Policy(PDF, 65KB)

A road must meet the following criteria to be sealed:

  • Where there are more than 250 vehicles per day
  • Where there is significant heavy vehicle traffic or school buses

The road section is prioritised in Council’s long-term Capital Improvement Program or funded through a special rate scheme.

Management and Maintenance of Unmade Roads (Paper Roads)

’Paper road’ is a term commonly used for a road that is legally established (ie. a designated road reservation is recorded in survey plans) but the physical road has not formally been constructed.

Paper roads typically comprise a natural surface generally cleared for access to property and formed only with a worn path from local vehicle usage. They are not uncommon, with several hundred kilometres throughout the Shire. Although the public has the right to access these road reservations at any time, they are not included on Council’s Register of Public Roads and, as such, they are not managed or maintained by Council.

Our policy relates to paper roads within the local road network in Moorabool Shire. It does not apply to roads or road reservations under the management of other authorities such as Regional Roads Victoria, the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning, water authorities, or private access roads.

Read our Management and Maintenance of Unmade Roads Policy(PDF, 170KB)

Need more information?

Consult our ‘Special Rates and Charges’ policy.(PDF, 262KB)

Main roads

VicRoads maintains major roads around the State.

In and around the Shire these include:

  • Western Highway
  • Main Street, Bacchus Marsh
  • Grant Street, Bacchus Marsh
  • Gisborne Road, Bacchus Marsh
  • Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road
  • Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road
  • Greendale-Trentham Road
  • Greendale-Myrniong Road
  • Geelong-Ballan Road
  • Ballan-Daylesford Road
  • Bungaree-Creswick Road
  • Ballarat-Daylesford Road
  • Midland Highway




Download our Road Management Plan(PDF, 8MB) (RMP)

Council’s RMP outlines how often we maintain footpaths. While we would like footpaths on all roads in urban areas, it is not feasible to fund such a vast network.

To assist decision-making, we have developed a “Hike & Bike Strategy(PDF, 10MB) ”. This strategy looks at the higher traffic roads. Council can also consider a special rate scheme like the one used when sealing roads.


Rural Roadside Drainage

Roadside drainage in rural areas is designed to keep the road surface free of water to prevent it from deteriorating. We ensure the road and drainage design do not increase flows onto a property. Council also strives to minimise the impact on the local environment.

We maintain drains located within a Council Road Reserve only. This includes channels and table drains at the side of the road pavement and culverts crossing beneath the road pavement.

Maintaining these drains ensures:

  • The road pavement is free draining
  • The road pavement does not obstruct the flow of stormwater from upstream to downstream land

We are not responsible for culverts that allow vehicle access to private land. The landholder is responsible for providing, maintaining, and replacing these culverts.

Overland flow or flooding

The Water Act 1989 (Victoria), states there is no legal liability when water flows across a boundary. This is water resulting from rain, floods, or the slope of the land).

If a neighbour causes the flow of water to change, the occupier may be able to take legal action. The occupier can also claim compensation for any damage caused. Note that a drainage easement (registered on the land title documents) gives a person the legal authority to direct water onto another's land.

Water flow from neighbouring properties

When water flows along the natural contours of the land, the property owner is responsible to design the house and landscaping to minimise the flow.

The property owner must protect the building structures by installing private drainage. The internal drainage layout in the design takes the water flows into account.

During a major flood, Council may take emergency action on private property to divert flood waters. We will not normally intervene as it risks becoming legally liable for any subsequent damage to property.

Council will get involved when the property owner:

  • Fails to follow a planning permit or has acted without one
  • Fails to follow a building permit or has acted without one
  • Has created a ‘public health’ issue

Nature Strips

Nature strips are the piece of public land between the footpath, or the property boundary, and the kerb or back of an open drain.

They allow for the location of the following services:

  • Water
  • Sewerage
  • Drainage
  • Gas
  • Electrical
  • Telecommunication

Residents must ensure their nature strip is safe and maintained. Normally this is by regular mowing, weeding, and picking up litter.

Council carries out maintenance of nature strips at town entrances and high-profile areas. We are also responsible for the street trees planted on the nature strip.

If the nature strip becomes damaged following service authority works or building works, the service authority or builder is responsible for repairs and reinstatement. 

Obstruction and Modification on Nature Strips

Council prohibits the placement of any obstruction to protect pedestrian and vehicular safety. The nature strip must have safe and clear access and must not obstruct the free movement of pedestrians, pushers, or wheelchairs.

Nature strips that have already been landscaped or modified by residents will need to be altered to meet Council requirements.

Council will not permit the following installations or amendments to a nature strip:

  1. Prickly or spiky plants
  2. Vegetable patch
  3. Woody shrubs
  4. Shrubs that grow greater than 500 mm or higher
  5. Weed species
  6. Item likes rocks and pavers, bluestone pitchers, railway sleepers, garden edging, pots, water features, post box and planter boxes
  7. Installation of retaining wall within nature strip
  8. Items that create a fire or health hazard
  9. Irrigation systems
  10. Temporary or permanent electrical wiring on a nature strip as well as lighting of trees
  11. Herbicide application to permanently retain a nature strip devoid of grass
  12. Asphalt or concrete
  13. Surfaces and plants that impact negatively on street tree health
  14. The level of the nature strip to be altered


Vehicle crossovers provide access from a public road to a private property. They extend from the road edge to the property boundary or fence. Crossovers are the landowner’s responsibility - constructed at their expense and to the Council’s standards and subject to a permit.

Any modifications to the Council’s assets as part of the installation of a new driveway are also at the landowner’s expense.

The property owner is responsible for the safe condition of the driveway and its immediate area. Where there is no underground drainage system or kerb and channel, the landowner is responsible for the entire driveway. This extends from the edge of the pavement to the property boundary and includes any culverts and end walls that may be required for roadside drainage under the driveway.

The property owner is responsible for the maintenance of the driveway, including the immediate surroundings.

A permit must be obtained for any desired or required work to meet Council standards.

Street, footpath and stormwater drainage cleaning

Council is responsible for cleaning maintenance services for a variety of Council assets to provide a clean, safe and attractive environment for both residents and visitors.

However, it is the landowner is responsible to maintain the drainage from the private property to the legal point of discharge. 

View the Street Cleaning Maintenance Management Plan.(PDF, 413KB)

This plan divides the maintenance activities into the following categories:

  • Street sweeping/cleaning
  • Footpath sweeping/cleaning
  • Stormwater drainage cleaning

The services are scheduled to occur at set frequencies depending on need. 

Forecast improvements from the Plan include:

  • Aesthetics – areas that are well maintained
  • Safety – areas that are safe and trafficable
  • Cleanliness – areas that are kept neat and tidy, unrestricted by rubbish
  • Environmental – minimisation of rubbish and loose litter entering waterways
  • Risk – minimisation of drain blockages and localised flooding

Sweeping routes in Bacchus Marsh and Ballan

Footpath Sweeping Bacchus Marsh Map(PDF, 240KB)
Footpath Sweeping Ballan Map(PDF, 199KB)
Pits and Pipes Bacchus Marsh(PDF, 1020KB)
Pits and Pipes Ballan(PDF, 391KB)
Street Sweeping Bacchus Marsh(PDF, 761KB)
Street Sweeping Ballan(PDF, 342KB)

Street Lighting

Council ensures the provision of a safe environment for the community wherever practicable.

View our ‘Street and Public Place Lighting’ policy.(PDF, 238KB)

Street lighting is placed at strategic locations such as intersections, bus stops, and business precincts. There needs to be significant nighttime pedestrian and cyclist activity, high nighttime traffic volumes, hazards to motorists and pedestrians, pedestrian crossings and speed humps.

New street and public place lighting installations will be consistent with the minimum requirements specified by Australian Standards.

Watch the video about our recent upgrade to street lighting.

Traffic management

Council’s traffic management services address problems relating to parking, the environment, damage to structures and the movement of traffic. We also aim to promote cycling, walking and the use of public transport to bring community health benefits.

Traffic improvement works (treatments)

For any planned traffic management works, Council assesses the purpose, advantages and disadvantages, locations and indicative cost.

Traffic management treatments are categorised according to:

  • vertical deflection devices (i.e. speed Humps or speed cushions)
  • horizontal deflection devices(i.e. road narrowing (one lane)
  • diversion devices and signage
  • line marking
  • other treatments

Different treatment options may be required depending on:

  • excessive speeds and volumes
  • through traffic 
  • vehicle/vehicle or pedestrian/vehicle conflict

Traffic volumes will normally only be reduced if a closure or turn ban is implemented to force traffic along another route. Any reduction in traffic in one street could potentially increase traffic on another. As a result, closures or turn bans should only be considered in exceptional circumstances. It is often a better option to manage traffic in its current volumes.

Speeding Vehicles – Hoon Hotline (Call 1800 333 000)

Penalties for hoon driving offences include the vehicle being impounded, immobilised or forfeited.

To report hoon driving activity call the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or report it online at

Related Information

Contact Us