Register your community or non-for-profit group to sell food

How to register your community group or not-for-profit body

If you are a community group or not-for-profit body wanting to raise funds by selling food you must register or notify Council:

  • If you are selling food at a stall (ie. Bunnings sausage sizzle, markets), you will need to notify or register with Council on Streatrader.
  • If you are selling or preparing food at a fixed premises, you will need to register with Council directly.

Depending on the food you are selling, you will be classified into one of the following classes:

Class 2

  If you are doing any of the following activities you will be a Class 2 registration:

  • Prepare and sell ready-to-eat foods, such as sandwiches and salad.
  • Cook food at the venue, holding the food hot (for example, in a bain marie), and serving the food hot throughout the day.
  • Cooking the food beforehand and storing it under refrigeration, and then reheating and serving it later at the venue.

If your community group food operation is classified as Class 2, you must register with Council and have a Food Safety Program.

Community groups in this class do not require a Food Safety Supervisor, unless operating for more than 2 consecutive days.

Class 3

If you are doing the following, you will be a Class 3 registration:

  • All of the food onsite, including high-risk foods, are cooked and served immediately.
  • Those handling the food are mostly volunteers
  • The food activity takes place at a site for no more than two days in a row.

Please refer to the Dept. of Health’s Food Safety guide for community groups Class 3(PDF, 4MB)

Class 4

If you do any of the following, you will be a Class 4 notification:

  • Sausage sizzle (sausage, sauce, onion, and bread only), tea, coffee, biscuits, pre-packaged or covered cakes (without cream)
  • Low-risk pre-packaged foods
  • Event/activity runs for no more than two days at a time.

These groups are classified as Class 4 and must notify Council.