Asset protection

What is Asset Protection and what do I need to do prior to building?

Asset Protection allows Council to accurately assess damage to Council assets as a result of construction. Council will hold the relevant party accountable to repair the damage. 

Which assets are included?

  • Protected assets include but are not limited to:
  • Roads
  • Footpaths
  • Kerbs
  • Drainage
  • Road furniture
  • Signage
  • Trees or other significant vegetation
  • The general landscape and appearance
  • Services of any kind
  • Street lighting
  • Assets that may be the property of other authorities

When is an Asset Protection permit required?

A permit is required for all building works that could cause damage to Council assets, as determined by Council. This includes the construction, demolition, extension, relocation or removal of a building, and the construction of swimming pools and other structures that require a building permit. The requirement of this permit can be found in Council’s Community Local Law (2019). 

If you are still unsure of whether you require a permit, please contact us.

How will Council determine if damage has occurred?

Council will identify all damage found in the post-construction inspection. This damage will be compared to photos taken in the pre-construction inspection to determine when the damage occured.

What is the process?

Step 1.Notification to Council

Council must be notified of existing damage in writing by either post, fax or email at least 7 days prior to construction commencement. The notification must include photographic evidence of existing damage to assets.  Asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection (Residential = $213.10) (Commercial = $273.50). 

Step 2.Initial Inspection

Once notification has been sent to Council, a Council officer will inspect the site. After inspection, Council will outline findings and indicate any extra damage identified. Relevant photos will be attached to this correspondence. Commencement of works may begin once Council notification has been received by the applicant for the permit.

Step 3.Notification of Completion of Works

Once construction works have been completed on the site, you are required to notify Council in writing. If any damage occurs during construction, this should be noted and photographic evidence attached. The notification of completion of works should include the same evidence as the initial notification. If no damage has occurred during construction, this should also be noted in the notification addressed to Council. The notification should be sent no later than 7 days after the completion of all works.

Step 4.Final Inspection

A Council officer will inspect the site and confirm findings. A letter will be sent advising of Council's observations.

If damage has occurred during construction, you will be required to repair or replace the damaged sections within 28 days of the letter being issued. Council should be notified once all repairs have been carried out.

More information:

Information for contractors regarding Council buildings(PDF, 97KB)

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to pay a bond to Council as part of the Asset permit procedure?

Council does not currently require applicants to pay a bond but an asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection (Residential = $213.10) (Commercial = $273.50). 


How long does it take for the Asset permit application to be processed?

Applicants should allow for up to 10 working days. Please ensure the information provided on the application form is clear, as incomplete information may extend the time required to process the permit.



Related Information

Build Over an Easement
Building Forms