Planning an event

All events must operate under the Victorian Government's COVIDSafe Settings

It is important that you adhere to the minimum notice period, and submit all event applications in the correct time frame outlined below.


Information for planning a public event in the Shire

If you are planning an event on public Council land (excluding small family gatherings), you must apply for an Event Permit before advertising the event.

Council land includes facilities such as:

  • Council buildings
  • Sporting reserves
  • Open space
  • Roads
  • Car parks

As the event organiser, it is your responsibility to obtain all required permits from Council and to meet all required legislation.

Minimum notice period

Your application to hold an event on public land or roads within Moorabool Shire must be submitted to Council according to the below minimum notice period. Event assessment considerations can be viewed in A Guide to holding an event in Moorabool(PDF, 589KB).

  • Low Impact (less than 500 people, no road closures, one day event, single location and other considerations) 8 weeks
  • Medium Impact (500-3000 people, road closures, 1 or more days, single or multiple locations and other considerations) 3-6 months
  • High Impact (More than 3000 people, 2 or more days and other considerations) 6-9 months

What constitutes a public event?

  • A public event is an organised public gathering for a common purpose
  • It can be a one-off or on a periodic basis
  • It is open to members of the public
  • It is publicly announced or advertised
  • It may be subject to a specific license, approval(s), or permit(s)

The event organiser must complete an Event Permit Application Form(DOCX, 117KB). Please ensure approval timeframes are adhered to which starts from a minimum of 8 weeks (depending on the nature of your event).

Victorian Government COVIDSafe Event requirements 

Public events in Victoria must take place under the Victorian Government COVIDSafe settings

All events will need to have a COVIDSafe plan in place.  If an event is being held at an existing venue (winery, pub, etc) it will need to comply with the businesses COVIDSafe Plan, and that Plan will need to cover off event elements. If an event is being held in a Public Space, the event organiser will have to create a COVIDSafe Plan for that event. The event is considered 'onsite operations' for the purposes of needing a Plan.

A guide to holding an event

The below guide helps event organisers and community groups. It provides clarity and direction to make your event compliant with local laws. It outlines the requirements of regulatory authorities and emergency services 

A Guide to holding an event in Moorabool(PDF, 589KB)

Forms and templates you may need

Event Permit Application Form(DOCX, 117KB)
Risk Management Template(DOCX, 25KB)     
Emergency Management Template(DOCX, 45KB)
Event Management Template(DOCX, 75KB)
Accessible Events Checklist(PDF, 100KB)
Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy permit(PDF, 225KB)

Information for planning an event on private land

Public or ticketed events held on private land do not require a Council Event Permit. Depending on the nature of the event and its expected attendance, other permits may be required.

Read our Guide to Hosting an Event in Moorabool Shire to understand the requirements of hosting a safe and successful event.

Permits you may need:

  • Planning permit
  • Building permit
  • Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) Occupancy permit
  • Traffic Management Plan & MoA(XLSX, 52KB) (Memorandum of Authorisation)  

It is the event organiser's responsibility to ensure all permits are received. For further clarification, please contact Council’s Economic Development Officer.

Accessible and inclusive for all

It is important to ensure event and activities are accessible, inclusive, and welcoming for everyone. Consider those living with a disability, parents with prams, carers, older adults, and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities.

The above guide provides further information on ensuring your event is accessible and inclusive for all. Events held on public land need to ensure the Accessible Events Checklist(PDF, 100KB) is completed and the items implemented

Sustainable events trailer

Council has a single-axle trailer available for hire by community groups. The trailer comes with 4 recycling and 4 garbage wheelie bins, plus bin ‘caps’ to encourage recycling and no-litter messages.

This is a free resource, available on a first-in, first-served basis, so book well in advance for popular times throughout the year.

There is also no charge for disposing of the accumulated waste and recycling at Council’s transfer stations.

Find out more and download a copy of the application.

Private family celebrations including birthdays, baby showers and weddings in public parks

You do not need an event planning permit for a small family celebration.

Such gatherings in a public park or area include:

  • Birthdays
  • Babyshowers
  • Wedding ceremonies

Please keep in mind Council cannot reserve an area in the park for you. Items should not be pegged into the ground as this can cause underground damage.