Fire prevention

Burning Off

Burning off is restricted in certain areas of Moorabool Shire and during the Declared Fire Danger Period. Residents need to apply for a permit prior to lighting any fires. You are not allowed to burn household rubbish, building waste, or noxious materials like tyres or chemicals.

Fire Danger Period

The lighting of fires is restricted during the Declared Fire Danger Period. Residents need to check the CFA website or contact us to find out if restrictions are in force. This information is also displayed in local newspapers. Local Law permits to burn will not be issued at this time.

Declared Fire Season by Municipality

Local Law Part 2 - Open Air Burning

Residents may apply for a Local Law Permit to burn outside of the Declared Fire Danger Period.  This application must be completed and returned to the Community Safety department at least ten working days prior to the proposed burn.

Find out more and apply for a permit to burn outside of fire season here

Country Fire Authority Regulations and Permits 

Schedule 13 permits are issued during the Declared Fire Danger Period via an online system through Fire Permits Victoria. The online system allows Victorians to apply for fire permits when fire restrictions are in place, or on a day of total fire ban (TFB). The website is a collaboration of all of Victoria’s fire services, being CFA, DEECA and FRV.

Schedule 13 permits are no longer available through Council and can only be obtained through the Fire Permits Victoria website.

Using the FPV website, residents and businesses using fire or heat sources such as commercial catering, fireworks, welding and more can use it to:

  • Check if they need a fire permit.
  • Apply for a fire permit.
  • Notify authorities that they are using a permit
  • Register a burn-off when restrictions are not in place.

Permit holders must notify emergency services, and Fire Permits Victoria website makes this easy as the online system can notify the Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA) and fire agencies when approved permits will be used. 

Local grass slashing contractors

As a courtesy to residents, we have compiled a list of grass slashing contractors who service the shire. Download grass slashing contractors here(DOCX, 26KB).  For further information about fire preparedness visit the CFA website

Bushfire Resilience Inc. (BRI) is a local community organisation that aims to provide bushfire information to households based on science, experience, and best practice. This will enable households to acquire knowledge, and by being better informed, empower them to make better decisions in preparing for, and responding to the threat of bushfire. Find out more here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Whose responsibility is it to maintain the grass / fire hazards on the nature strip?

The land owner is responsible to maintain the grass / fire hazards on the nature strip.

Can I get an extension for my Fire Notice - works completion due date?

If you do not believe you will be able to comply with your notice by the due date, please email with your notice number, the block address, and the date that you will be able to comply with the notice. 

Can I report someones property as a fire risk?

Reports of unsightly land which relate to long grass in residential (house or vacant residential block) areas, can be reported as a Fire Prevention / Hazard to the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer.

However, if this property is being reported for the risk of snake infestation only, this is not handled by Council, and landowners are responsible to remove, or pay for the removal, of snakes by a snake catcher from private property.