Asset Protection

On this page: 

What is Asset Protection?

Our Asset Protection program is designed to keep Moorabool Shire Infrastructure assets protected from damage resulting from buildings and construction activities 


Application checklist

To submit an asset protection permit application, you must:

  • inspect and photograph your building site for pre-existing damage to Council assets
  • notify us of any existing damage in your online permit application
  • ensure you are familiar with the relevant fees that apply to your application
  • ensure you have read understood the terms and conditions that apply to your application

How to apply


If approved, we will email your permit within 10 working days.

Once you have received your permit, you can start your building works. You cannot start any building works (including the delivery of any materials and equipment) until a permit is granted.

Your permit is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

When you must apply for a permit

You must apply for an Asset Protection Permit if you are planning to build (or undertake demolition works) in Moorabool Shire Council. The requirement of this permit can be found in Council’s Community Local Law (2019). 

Common building and other works that require a permit: 
  • construction of a dwelling, unit, garage, pool house or building
  • demolition or removal of a structure
  • extension to a dwelling
  • additions or alterations to a dwelling
  • construction or installation of a swimming pool or spa
  • fencing with continuous concrete strip footing, brick or masonry fencing
  • commercial or industrial development
  • structural or civil works
  • access to Council Reserve / Land for the purpose of building or other works

Other building works may need a permit. If the building work you are planning is not listed above and still unsure of whether your require a permit, please contact us. 

Council assets

Builders are responsible for protecting the following Council assets during the building process;

  • Roads
  • Footpaths
  • Nature strips
  • Kerb and channel
  • Drainage pits and pipes
  • Street furniture
  • Signage
  • Street trees and other significant vegetation
  • Street lighting

Builders also have a responsibility to protect assets belonging to other authorities, such as communications, water, gas and power companies.

Council will generally not inspect assets within private property.  However, photos showing the condition of any Council assets (e.g. drainage pits) within a private property must be submitted with the Asset Protection Application prior to the commencement of any building works.  Where this is not provided, it will be assumed no damage was done prior to the building works.

Builders/owner builders, contractors, suppliers and trades people must ensure damage to assets is kept to a minimum and assets are repaired if damage occurs.  Once construction is completed, it is the builder's responsibility to reinstate the nature strip (level out, top soil and seed).

How will Council determine if damage has occurred?

Council will identify all damage found in the post-construction inspection. This damage will be compared to photos taken in the pre-construction inspection to determine when the damage occurred. If any work has commenced without taking the permit; then all damages will be considered to have occurred during construction and Council will hold the relevant party accountable to repair the damage.

What is the process?

Step 1.Notification to Council

Council must be notified of existing damage in writing by either post, fax or email at least 7 days prior to construction commencement. The notification must include photographic evidence of existing damage to assets.  Asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection (Residential = $226.20) (Commercial = $290.50). 

Step 2.Initial Inspection

Once notification has been sent to Council, a Council officer will inspect the site. After inspection, Council will outline findings and indicate any extra damage identified. Relevant photos will be attached to this correspondence. Commencement of works may begin once Council notification has been received by the applicant for the permit.

Step 3.Notification of Completion of Works

Once construction works have been completed on the site, you are required to notify Council in writing. If any damage occurs during construction, this should be noted and photographic evidence attached. The notification of completion of works should include the same evidence as the initial notification. If no damage has occurred during construction, this should also be noted in the notification addressed to Council. The notification should be sent no later than 7 days after the completion of all works.

Step 4.Final Inspection

A Council officer will inspect the site and confirm findings. A letter will be sent advising of Council's observations.

If damage has occurred during construction, you will be required to repair or replace the damaged sections within 28 days of the letter being issued. Council should be notified once all repairs have been carried out.

More information:

Information for contractors regarding Council buildings(PDF, 97KB)

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to pay a bond to Council as part of the Asset permit procedure?

Council does not currently require applicants to pay a bond but an asset protection application fee is required to be paid prior to initial inspection (Residential = $226.20) (Commercial = $290.50). 


How long does it take for the Asset permit application to be processed?

Applicants should allow for up to 10 working days. Please ensure the information provided on the application form is clear, as incomplete information may extend the time required to process the permit.



Related Information

Build Over an Easement
Building Forms