Roads and Transport

Share Tweet Print More Options
People working on road repairs

Council’s Road Management Plan identifies responsibilities, maintenance standards and inspection regimes for all of the road assets under its control.

The Road Management Plan defines:

  • The road assets which Council maintains on behalf of the Community
  • The responsibilities of Council in relation to management of road assets
  • Standards of performance in relation to the condition of road assets which Council can afford
  • Policies and procedures in relation to the ongoing risk inspection of road assets
  • Intervention levels and associated response times for Council to address road asset defects identified in risk inspections

The Road Management Plan is reviewed and updated every four years.

For further information, please contact us.

More Information

Click on the link to skip to a section. 


Moorabool Shire manages its road network in accordance with its Road Management Plan (RMP). Under the RMP, scheduled inspections are undertaken to identify any defects and to ensure that appropriate maintenance is carried out to keep roads within a specified intervention level. Generally, the purpose of the RMP is to document what Council maintains, the standard of maintenance and the process used to establish the standards. Download a copy of the Road Management Plan (PDF, 9.36 MB).

Information in relation to Sealing of Unsealed Roads

Moorabool Shire has adopted Sealing of Unsealed Road Policy (PDF, 64.65 KB). The Sealing of Unsealed Roads Policy has detailed about the purpose and scope in relation to sealing of an unsealed road. There are few criteria that need to meet to seal an unsealed road (i.e. the gravel roads will be considered for sealing  only  in instances  where  they  have  more  than  250  vehicles  per  day, or between 100 and 250 vehicles where there are special circumstances  such as school buses  or a high percentage of heavy vehicles). If the criteria will meet then the road section will be included in Council’s long term Capital Improvement Program for prioritisation. The Capital Improvement projects are reviewed and prioritised annually in line with Council’s budget progress. The project listed will be prioritised against all capital projects on the long term list and recommendations are made for the annual capital works program.

Alternatively, Council could consider a special rate scheme in accordance with Council’s ‘Special Rates and Charges’ policy to advance the priority for sealing of the road, with a contribution  from Council as well as a contribution from the benefiting  parties. Should residents wish to pursue this option, they should contact Council to discuss further. Download a copy of the ‘Special Rates and Charges’ policy (PDF, 262.31 KB).

Main Roads

The following roads are controlled by VicRoads:

  • Western Highway
  • Main Street, Bacchus Marsh
  • Grant Street, Bacchus Marsh
  • Gisborne Road, Bacchus Marsh
  • Diggers Rest-Coimadai Road
  • Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road
  • Greendale-Trentham Road
  • Greendale-Myrniong Road
  • Geelong-Ballan Road
  • Ballan-Daylesford Road
  • Bungaree-Creswick Road
  • Ballarat-Daylesford Road
  • Midland Highway



In terms of ongoing maintenance, Council’s Road Management Plan (RMP) (PDF, 9.36 MB) outlines the inspection frequency and maintenance standards for footpaths across the Shire. Paths will be continued to be inspected and maintained in accordance with this plan. 

Whilst Council would like to ensure all roads in urban areas contain footpaths, its ability to fund them is limited given the significant quantity. To assist decision making in regard to capital funding of pedestrian paths, Council has developed a “Hike & Bike Strategy” (PDF, 10.24 MB). The strategy direct funds towards higher traffic volume (collector) roads initially and this is where Council is currently focussing its efforts.

This list will be assessed as part of each annual budget process, along with other projects of competing priorities.

Alternatively to prioritise a pathway project, Council could consider a special rate scheme in accordance with Council’s ‘Special Rates and Charges’ policy as mentioned in Road section.


Rural Roadside Drainage

Roadside drainage in rural areas is designed to keep the road surface free of water so that it does not deteriorate. The roadside drainage, as far as possible, avoids interrupting the normal overland flow patterns to minimise impact on the local environment.

Council responsibility is limited to ensuring that the road and associated drainage design do not concentrate greater flows onto a property than would be expected were the road not there.

Council is responsible for drains located within a Council Road Reserve only. This includes channels and table drains at the side of the road pavement and culverts crossing beneath the road pavement.

Council will maintain these drains to ensure:

  • The road pavement is free draining, and
  • The road pavement does not unreasonably obstruct the flow of stormwater from upstream land through to downstream land.

However, Council is not responsible for vehicle crossover culverts that allow vehicle access to private land. The landholder is responsible for providing, maintaining and replacing these culverts as required.

Information for Land Owner(s) in relation to over land flow or flooding

In accordance with Water Act 1989 (Victoria), generally legal liability does not attach where water flows naturally across a boundary (as a result of rain, floods, or the slope of the land).

If the flow of water is caused directly or indirectly by a neighbour's activities, the occupier may be able to take legal action to stop it happening again and for compensation for any damage caused. In this context it should be noted that a drainage easement (normally registered on the land title documents) gives a person the legal authority to direct water onto another's land.

Water Flow from Neighbouring Properties

Where water is following the natural contours of the land, it is the responsibility of individual property owner to design their house and landscaping to minimise the flow of water.

It is the responsibility of the property owner to manage and protect the lawfully constructed building structures on their property. This could be achieved by installing private drainage to protect a property. The internal drainage layout for their property and the location and design of buildings take into account these natural overland water flows.

During a major flood, Council workers may take emergency action on private property to divert flood waters. Apart from this, Council will not normally intervene on private property because to do so risks Council becoming legally liable for consequent damage to property.

Council will typically become involved only in the following circumstances where the ‘offending’ property owner:

  • has not complied with the Planning Permit for his property development or has constructed works (such as cut or fill) that require a permit without getting a permit;
  • has not complied with the building permit for their property development, for example in relation to their legal point of discharge;
  • has created a ‘Public health’ issue (Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008, s.61). Local councils have the delegated power to make sure that this law is observed (s.60), and the power to regulate instances that they consider constitute a nuisance

Nature Strips

Characteristically in an urban area the ‘Nature strips’ are the pieces of public land between the footpath, or the property boundary (when there is no footpath), and the kerb or back of an open drain.

The primary purpose of nature strips is to allow for the location of services, including water, sewerage, drainage, gas, electrical and telecommunication, both below and above ground.

For both urban and rural naturestrips, in accordance w ith Council’s Road Management Plan (2013) & Road Management Act 2004 (Victoria), all residents need to perform necessary maintenance to the nature strip adjacent to their property.  The nature strip should be kept in a good and safe condition at all times.

Generally, the resident or occupier will maintain the nature strip adjoining their property. Normally this is by regular mowing, weeding and picking up litter. Council only carries out maintenance of nature strips at town entrances and high profile areas.

If the nature strip becomes damaged following service authority works, such as water, gas, electricity, telecommunications works or as a result of building works, the service authority or builder is responsible for nature strip repairs and reinstatement. Council is responsible for street trees planted on the nature strip.

Obstruction and Modification on Nature Strips

Obstruction: Council prohibits the placement of any obstruction on nature strips as there are impending adverse impacts on pedestrian and vehicular safety. Furthermore, the nature strip must have a safe and clear access path and must not obstruct the free movement of pedestrians, persons with pushers or wheelchairs.

Modification: Alterations may be required to nature strips that have already been landscaped or modified by residents in order that they meet the requirements of Council.

Council will not permit the followings to be installed within Nature Strip:

  1. Plants that are prickly or spiky.
  2. Vegetable patch.
  3. Woody shrubs.
  4. Shrubs that grow greater than 500mm or higher which hide line of sight.
  5. Weed species.
  6. To prevent/reduce tripping hazards, Council will not permit garden beatification items and/or hard landscaping elements. Item likes rocks/ boulders and pavers, bluestone pitchers, railway sleepers, garden edging, pots, water feature, post box and planter boxes etc.
  7. Installation of retaining wall within nature strip.
  8. Items that create a fire or health hazard.
  9. Irrigation systems within a nature strip.
  10. Temporary or permanent electrical wiring on a nature strip as well as lighting of trees.
  11. Herbicide application to permanently retain a nature strip devoid of grass, is not permitted.
  12. Property owners or representatives converting a grass nature strip to asphalt or concrete.
  13. Surfaces and plants to impact negatively on street tree health.
  14. The level of the nature strip to be altered.


Vehicle crossovers provide access from a public road to a private property, from the road edge to the property line (boundary/fence). Crossovers are the landowner’s responsibility, are constructed at the property owner’s expense and must be carried out to the Council’s standards, subject to a permit. Where modifications to the Council’s assets (e.g. paths and kerb and channel) are required as part of the installation of a new driveway, these shall be at the landowner’s expense.

The property owner is responsible for ensuring the driveway, including the immediate surrounds that the driveway impacts on, are maintained in a safe condition. Where there is no underground drainage system or kerb & channel, the landowner is responsible for the entire driveway, from the edge of shoulder or edge of pavement to the property boundary, including any culverts and endwalls that may be required for roadside drainage under the driveway.

The property owner is responsible for ensuring the driveway, including the immediate surrounds that the driveway impacts on, are maintained in a safe condition.

A permit must be obtained for the construction of any new or modification of  driveways/crossovers and work to be carried out within the road reserve in accordance to Council Standards.

Street, Footpath and Stormwater Drainage Cleaning

Council is responsible for the provision of cleansing maintenance services for a variety of Council assets, and seeks to provide a clean, safe and attractive environment for both residents and visitors. However, the drainage from private property, to the legal point of discharge is to be maintained by the land owner.  The legal point of discharge is the junction from where the pipes from the private property meet the council drainage infrastructure.  The Street Cleaning Maintenance Management Plan identifies the responsibilities of Council as well as the maintenance standards and frequencies required to manage the Shire’s open space assets into the future. This plan divides the maintenance activities into the following categories:

  • Street sweeping/cleaning
  • Footpath sweeping/cleaning
  • Stormwater drainage cleaning

Generally, the services under this plan are undertaken as programmed maintenance. This means they are scheduled to occur at set frequencies with some flexibility based on need. Generally, the objective of the plan is to provide the following benefits:

  • Aesthetics – areas that are well maintained
  • Safety – areas that are safe and trafficable
  • Cleanliness – areas that are kept neat and tidy, unrestricted by rubbish
  • Environmental – minimisation of rubbish and loose litter entering waterways
  • Risk – minimisation of drain blockages and localised flooding

Street Cleaning Maintenance Management Plan
Footpath Sweeping Bacchus Marsh Map
Footpath Sweeping Ballan Map
Pits and Pipes Bacchus Marsh
Pits and Pipes Ballan
Street Sweeping Bacchus Marsh
Street Sweeping Ballan

Street Lighting

Moorabool Shire Council has growing number of urban roads and a responsibility to provide a safe environment for its community where practicable. Part of this responsibility relates to the provision of an environment that is conducive to the safe and effective movements of vehicle and pedestrian traffic at night and the discouragement of illegal and anti-social acts.

Council has adopted ‘Street and Public Place Lighting’ policy. (PDF, 237.52 KB)

Street lighting is placed at strategic locations such as intersections, bus stops, and business precincts. Where street lighting is to be placed, there needs to be significant night time pedestrian and cyclist activity, high night time traffic volumes, hazards to motorists and pedestrians, pedestrian crossings and speed humps.

New Public Lighting

New street and public place lighting installations will aim to be consistent with the minimum requirements specified by AS/NZS 1158:2010, Lighting for Roads and Public Spaces. Where possible, the provision of street and public place lighting will be in accordance with the lighting categories specified being;

  • Category V Lighting applicable to roads on which the visual requirements of motorists are dominant (e.g. traffic routes).
  • Category P Lighting applicable to roads on which the visual requirements of pedestrians are dominant.

Public Lighting in Existing Areas

Existing residential and township areas that don’t currently meet relevant standards will not be proactively retrofitted for economic and fiscal reasons. Requests for additional lighting in these areas will be assessed and installed on merit within resource constraints.


Traffic Management

Traffic Management treatments with an assessment of their purpose, advantages and disadvantages, appropriate and inappropriate locations and an indicative cost of the treatment.

The range of traffic management treatments have been categorised according to vertical deflection devices (i.e. speed Humps or speed cushions), horizontal deflection devices(i.e. road narrowing (one lane)), diversion devices and signage, line marking and other treatments.

Different treatment options may be required to address issues of excessive speeds and volumes, through traffic or vehicle/vehicle or pedestrian/vehicle conflict. Typically, traffic volumes will only be reduced if a closure or turn ban is implemented to force traffic along another route(s). Any reduction in traffic volume in one street could potentially increase traffic on adjacent routes. As a result, closures or turn bans should only be considered in exceptional circumstances, unless the objective is to direct or maintain traffic on the arterial road network. It is often a better option to manage traffic in its current volumes.

Traffic Calming Devices

Detail engineering assessment and Council's traffic count database need to be analysed for traffic calming devices implementation.

Speeding Vehicles – Hoon Hotline (Call 1800 333 000)

Hoon driving is used to describe a list of offences that involve reckless driving behaviour that puts the public at risk. Penalties for hoon driving offences include the vehicle being impounded, immobilised or forfeited.

Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline

You are encouraged to report of hoon driving to Victoria Police, if you have knowledge of hoon driving activity and/or are able to provide a description of vehicles involved (make, model, colour, registration number etc.). Police can focus on specific locations in relation to Hoon driving.

To report hoon driving activity call the Crime Stoppers Hoon Hotline on 1800 333 000 or report it online at

Last Updated:

Monday, 4 July, 2016 - 14:37