Health and Wellbeing

Share Tweet Print More Options

Neighbourhood Nuisance

If you are finding your neighbour is creating an odour or a noise which is causing you a health issue, Council will investigate and take action when necessary.

Neighbourhood Disputes

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) is a free dispute resolution service funded by the Victorian Government.

DSCV can help you resolve common neighbourhood disputes involving fences, trees, animals, noise and drainage, disputes about difficult or anti-social behaviour etc. Guides to dispute resolution services in Victoria are also available in English and ten community languages from the website.

Please note that the DSCV website is an external website link and will take you out of Moorabool Shire Council’s site.


There are restrictions regarding noise and odours in residential areas. Local police or Council can assist if you have concerns. Contact us if you have a noise or ordour complaint or require further information. 

Notifiable Diseases

If you or someone you know is suspected of having a notifiable disease, you should immediately go to your GP or hospital to be properly diagnosed and treated. If the disease is confirmed, the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services will be notified and Council will be tasked with tracking the disease. This may involve an interview to determine the source of the disease or an investigation to locate the place of infection.

All information gathered during an investigation is extremely sensitive and treated as highly confidential.

Smoking and Tobacco

If you have an issue with a person smoking in an area where smoking is banned, or you know of someone selling cigarettes or tobacco illegally, contact us to have it investigated.


If you have found or know of Asbestos in a public space, Council will investigate and organise its removal to prevent any potential harm to the public.

Public Pools

All public pools must be registered with Council. Council will regularly test water of pools to ensure there is no build up in microbes living in the water and that there are appropriate amounts of chlorine being used to treat the water.

Contact us for more information on any environmental health issues.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • My neighbour creates a lot of noise or noise at strange times, what can I do?

    Under the Environmental Protection Act 1970 and regulations, people are limited in the noise they can make in urban areas.  If noise is a regular issue and is causing you health issues, we can investigate the problem under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. Officers will require a diary to be kept to show the extent of the issue and under some circumstances, we may require a doctor`s certificate to show the effect an issue is having on your health.

Last Updated:

Tuesday, 17 May, 2016 - 19:54