Vehicle Crossing / Driveway

Share Tweet Print More Options

Vehicle Crossing & Responsibility

The vehicle crossing, commonly referred to as a vehicle crossover, is the part of a driveway which spans from the property boundary to the edge of the road.

Crossovers are the landowner’s responsibility, are constructed at the property owner’s expense and must be carried out to the Council’s standards, subject to a permit. Where modifications to the Council’s assets (e.g. paths and kerb and channel) are required as part of the installation of a new driveway, these shall be at the landowner’s expense. The property owner is responsible for ensuring the driveway, including the immediate surrounds that the driveway impacts on, are maintained in a safe condition.

In an urban situation, the Council retains management responsibility for any footpaths and kerb and channel, while the landowner has management responsibility for the remainder of the crossover even though it is within the road reserve. Where there is no footpath or kerb and channel, the landowner is responsible for the entire crossover from road edge to property line.

In rural areas where there is no footpath or kerb and channel, the landowner is responsible for the entire driveway, from the edge of shoulder or edge of pavement to the property boundary, including any culverts and endwalls that may be required for roadside drainage under the driveway. Any work to be carried out within the road reserve must be carried out to Council Standards.


Permit Procedure

The permit can only be issued from the road authority of the road that the proposed vehicle crossing will be connecting to. For the vast majority of roads, including local, collector and link roads, the road authority is Moorabool Shire Council. For declared arterial roads, such as Grant Street, Geelong-Ballan Road and Midland Highway, the road authority is VicRoads.

Link to Permit Application Form

Once the application has been received by Council you will be mailed a Standard Drawing of the crossing to be constructed along with a letter detailing additional conditions if the permit is approved.

Construction of the Crossing

Council must be notified at least 24 hours before the concrete is poured in order for an inspection to take place. For crushed rock crossings, the timing of the inspections will vary.

Minimum clearances

Drainage Pits and Pipes                                 1.0 metre

Signs                                                               1.0 metre

Street Lights                                                    1.0 metre

Fire Hydrants                                                   1.0 metre

Utility Service Assets                                       1.0 metre (else consent from asset owner and/or responsible authority required)

Footpath Ramps                                              2.0 metres

Trees                                                                3.0 metres (else consent from a Council arborist)

Between Crossings                                          9.0 metres (urban), 12.0 metres (rural, between adjacent properties)

Intersections                                                    10.0 metres from intersecting road


Vehicle Crossing Widths

The standard width for a residential crossing is 3.6 metres. Approvals for greater widths are subject to factors such as the length of property frontage and the present and future demand for parking. Maximum widths vary for other types of crossings. (NOTE: Approvals for extension are subject to factors including the condition of the existing vehicles crossing, clearances and the length of property forntage).

Urban – Residential Crossing

Technical Guide:

Council will expect that section of each crossing contained within the road reserve to be constructed with an all-weather surface.

Council will expect the section of crossing passing through the footpath zone to conform to the requirements of Australian Standard AS1428.1 2009 – Design for Access and Mobility. A surface that matches the texture and colour of the adjacent footpaths is preferred, but alternative surfaces may be approved by Council provided that they comply with Australian Standard AS1428.1 2009 – Design for Access and Mobility. However, patterns creating surface irregularities more than 5mm high are prohibited, and coloured edge strips will only be permitted when adjacent and parallel to the alignment of footpaths. Feature edge strips are not permitted to cross the path of travel along the footpath. Plain grey concrete is preferred.

The layback requires steel mesh reinforcement and must be included as per the standard drawing attached with every permit approval.

Crossings to adjacent properties should either be fully combined, with a maximum width of 6.0m, or have a minimum separation of 9m.

Vehicle crossings to residential corner allotments should be located at least 6m from the intersection of road reserves and 2m clear of pedestrian kerb crossings.

Rural – Residential Crossing

Technical Guide:

Council will expect all rural vehicle access crossings to include a culvert unless they are located at an obvious high point. The minimum width of culvert is 4.88m and that all culverts are equipped with an end-wall at each end of the pipe.

The minimum pipe size varies according to the slope of the terrain. In flat terrain the minimum pipe size is  375mm in rural and rural living zones, and pipes should be laid with the pipe invert 150mm below the invert of the table drain. In steeper terrain the risk of silting and blockage is reduced, and the minimum pipe size is 300mm.

The minimum pipe size is 300mm in low density residential zones where table drain batters are flat enough to allow mowing. In these instances, the pipes should be laid with the pipe invert matching the table drain invert.

Reinforced concrete swale crossings can be used where the depth of the table drain is less than 350mm and the product of the depth and the peak flow velocity is less than 0.35, provided that Council’s Asset Unit is satisfied that the crossing can be safely and conveniently negotiated by standard cars.

The crossover with either a300mm or 375mm culvert, may have end-walls.

NOTE: Each application is taken on a case by case basis and requirements may vary.

For more information about vehicle crossings, please contact Council's Asset Protection Officer on 5366 7100 or




Frequently Asked Questions

  • Vehicle Crossing/Driveway - Application Process Time

    Applicants should allow up to 10 business days.

  • Vehicle Crossing/Driveway - Second Crossing

    Approval for a second crossing may only be given if the property frontage is greater than 20 metres and if would not lead to any other complications.

Last Updated:

Monday, 23 October, 2017 - 12:58