Find out about closures, changes to services, facilities, events and keeping yourselves safe, visit our COVID-19 update.

Waste Services

Share Tweet Print More Options
waste collection truck

Garbage, Recycling and Greenwaste Kerbside Collections

For specific information on kerbside recycling in the Shire, please visit our recycling update

Garbage, Recycling and Greenwaste Kerbside Collections

Collection calendar 2020

WRG 2020 final snip p1.JPGWRG 2020 final snip p2.JPG


Compulsory & Non-Compulsory Collection Areas

Compulsory waste collection areas include properties within residential and low-density residential zones, townships and rural living. Residential and low-density residential zones are serviced by a 120 litre weekly garbage collection and a 240 litre fortnightly recycling collection.

Townships, rural living and all other zoned land in compulsory and non-compulsory areas are serviced by a 240 litre fortnightly garbage collection and a 240 litre fortnightly recycling collection. If you live within a non-compulsory area or have an additional service, you are able to opt out at any time, by advising Council in writing.

If you live within an area not serviced by Council collections, you may purchase vouchers for use at Council’s Transfer Stations.

Garbage - Urban Areas

Bacchus Marsh, Darley, Maddingley, Hopetoun Park and Ballan residents are required to have a 120 litre garbage bin with a red lid, which is serviced weekly on your area's designated collection day. If you own residential property in these localities, it's your responsibility to purchase this bin from Council.

Garbage - Rural Areas

Rural residents are required to have a 240 litre garbage bin with a red lid, which will be serviced fortnightly on your area's designated collection day. If you own residential property in a rural locality, it's your responsibility to purchase this bin from Council.

Recycling - Urban and Rural Areas

Council provides a 240 litre recycling bin with a yellow lid, serviced fortnightly on the designated collection day (on the same weekday as garbage). Recycling bins are owned by Council and must be left behind at the vacated property if you move house. We will supply you with a recycling bin at your new house if there isn't one.


- Urban Areas

Council offers an opt-in fortnightly collection service for garden materials in Bacchus Marsh, Darley, Maddingley, Hopetoun Park and Ballan. To subscribe, you will need to purchase a 240 litre bin with a lime green lid from Council. If you wish to opt out at any time, simply notifying us in writing. Curious to know what happens to your greenwaste after it leaves the kerb? Check out the heartwarming Farmers' Stories short videos on the Back to Earth website.

- Compost Revolution offer!

You can purchase a subsidised composting kit, thanks to a partnership between Council and Compost Revolution. There's a choice of three kits; the traditional outdoor composter with aerating tool, a worm farm with 1,000 worms or an indoor benchtop 'Bokashi' food scrap kit with enzyme spray for rapid breakdown. Kits are limited to one per household and are available only whilst Council has stock (be quick: the Bokashi bins are almost gone!). Your purchase saves an average of 60% off retail and includes online tutorials and support. Visit Compost Revolution to find out more and to place your order.

Apply for a Kerbside Collection Service and/or Order a New Bin

To apply for a service and/or order a new bin, complete an online Waste Service Application Form. Contact Us to request a paper form by post or alternatively visit one of our Customer Service centres.

Check my Collection Day

New to the area? Check your collection day online. Remember that the same collection days for garbage, recycling and greenwaste apply from one year to the next, unless otherwise advised.

Thinking green! Our collection calendars are available to view online onlyunless you request that a photocopied copy be posted to you. You can also follow the time-honoured tradition of checking which bins your neighbours are putting out on the night before collection!

Missed Bins

Council can arrange for bins to be collected if they have been overlooked during collection, but only if they have been placed out correctly and on time. Council appreciates your help in keeping the collection schedules running smoothly.

 Report a Damaged or Missed Bin

Damaged Bins

Council will replace broken lids, pins, wheels and axles on garbage and greenwaste bins, free of charge on bins that are under five years old. There is no cost or time limitation for repairs or replacement recycling bins. Repairs or replacements are undertaken on weekdays and you do not need to be at home, as long as your bin is presented on the agreed day.

Report a Damaged or Missed Bin

On Your Collection Day

To ensure that your bin is emptied on the scheduled collection day:

  • Put your bin out after 4pm the day before collection or prior to 6am on your collection day
  • Place your bins near the kerb or roadside, at least 1 metre apart and facing the road
  • Avoid putting your bin behind a parked car or too close to overhanging trees/branches
  • Do not overfill or compact the contents of your bins. Drivers are not obliged to return to empty jammed bins.
  • Do not place recycling in bags! Plastic bags never belong in your recycling bin; take them to Coles or Woolworths' front-of-store collection points.
  • Bring your emptied bin back in from the kerb same day

Truck camera footage shows us whether bins have been presented on time, and refilling and re-presenting bins kerbside is unacceptable practice. Please also keep in mind that having a truck return to service an individual property unnecessarily delays collections for other residents, sometimes many suburbs or towns away. See On Your Collection Day for tips on presenting your bin.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens if my bin has been half-emptied?

    Overfilling or compacting materials into the bin generally cause half-emptied bins. The force applied by the truck mechanism during emptying will not remove items that have been compacted into the bin. Loosely separate the remaining materials in the bin and report the half-emptied bin to Council. All half-emptied bin requests are recorded by Council and will not return to properties who repeatedly overfill or compact their bins.

  • Can property owners apply for multiple kerbside services?

    Yes, eligible property owners can apply for a kerbside garbage, recycling and/or greenwaste service. Garbage and greenwaste bins can be purchased through Council and recycling bins are provided at no cost. The service fee for waste services is payable annually through property rates.

  • Does Council's waste collections operate on Public Holidays?

    There are no kerbside collections on Christmas Day, New Years Day or Good Friday. The alternative collection days are advertised online and in local newspapers prior to these days.

    Collection services operate as per normal schedule on all other Public Holidays. 

Last Updated:

Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 10:50