Rates and charges explained

Share Tweet Print More Options

Each year Council, in accordance with the Fair Go Rate System legislation, prepares a budget to determine the amount of money it needs to raise from rates and charges so that it can continue to fund and improve facilities and services across the municipality.

What is a Differential Rate and Council's Structure?

What is a differential rate?

To create a more equitable rate base, Council adopts a number of rating categories for different types of properties. A property is allocated a differential rate category based on the primary use of the property and each category has a different rate in the dollar for the rate calculation, creating a fairer distribution of rates across properties within the municipality.  On some occasions, a property may have multiple uses which, may result in a second rateable assessment being created for the property.

If you consider that your property is being rated under the incorrect differential rate, please contact us.

Council’s Differential Rate Structure

For the 2019/20 financial year, Council has set the following differential rates which are explained in summary. Full differential rate definitions can be found in Council's annual budget.

General - Level 1.0:

Any land:

  • On which a dwelling is lawfully erected and occupied for the principal purpose of physically accommodating persons; and
  • Which does not have the characteristics of:
    • Commercial/Industrial Land;
    • Vacant Commercial/Industrial Land;
    • Extractive Industry Land;
    • Farm Land;
    • Residential Retirement Land;
    • Vacant Land General;
    • Vacant Farming Zone (FZ) or Rural Conservation Zone (RCZ) Land; or
    • Vacant General Residential Zone (GRZ) Land.

Residential Retirement - Level 0.90:

Any land:

  • Which is defined as a Retirement Village land under the Retirement Villages Act 1986.

Commercial/Industrial - Level 1.55:

Any land which is lawfully used:

  • For the purpose of carrying out the manufacturing or production of goods; or
  • For the purpose of carrying out trade in goods or services.

Vacant Commercial/Industrial - Level 2.30:

Any land:

  • Located within an Industrial or Commercial zone under the Moorabool planning scheme; and
  • Which is vacant; or
  • Not lawfully developed for the principal purpose of carrying out the manufacturing or production of goods or trade in goods or services; and
  • Which does not have the characteristics of General Developed land.

Extractive Industry - Level 3.12:

Any land:

  • Which is used primarily for the extraction or removal of minerals, earth or stone including the treatment of minerals, earth or stone; or
  • On which activities for the extraction or removal of minerals, earth, or stone including the treatment of minerals earth or stone have been discontinued but which has not yet been rehabilitated to environmental standards as required by law.

Farm - Level 0.78:

Any land:

  • Which is “farmland” within the meaning of section 2(1) of the Valuation of Land Act 1960.

Vacant Land General - Level 2.10:

Any land:

  • On which no building is lawfully erected; and
  • Which does not have the characteristics of;
  • Vacant Commercial/Industrial Land; or
  • Vacant FZ or RCZ Land; or
  • Vacant GRZ Land.

Vacant Land FZ or RCZ - Level 1.0:

Any land:

  • On which no building is lawfully erected; and
  • Which is located within the Farm Zone (FZ) or Rural Conservation Zone (RCZ) under the Moorabool Planning Scheme; and
  • Which does not have the characteristics of Farm Land.

Vacant Land GRZ - Level 2.3:

Any land:

  • On which no dwelling is lawfully erected; and
  • Which is located within the General Residential Zone (GRZ) under the Moorabool Planning Scheme.

Cultural and Recreational Lands Provisions

Council has an adopted Cultural and Recreational Land Policy which allows for partial rate waivers for properties that meet the criteria of the Cultural and Recreational Lands Act 1963.

Recreational groups that are currently rated should contact our Revenue Services Team to discuss this option.

How are my rates calculated?

Council bases its rate calculation on the Capital Improved Value (CIV) of each individual property.  The formula for calculating general rates, excluding any additional charges or arrears, is as follows:

General Rates = CIV x Rate in the CIV Dollar

The rate in the CIV dollar is set by Council as part of its annual budget process and may include differential rates for different types of properties.

2021 Rate Calculator.xlsx

Fire Services Property Levy (FSPL) Charges

The State Government passed legislation following the Bushfire Royal Commission to have the Fire Services Property Levy (FSPL) charged via council rates notice, rather than added to home insurance policies from 1 July 2013.

Under this system, all homeowners will pay the FSPL, rather than just those who have insurance and the levy will be based on a fixed charge and a variable charge based on property value, rather than the level of insurance a homeowner purchases. The State Government uses the money raised from the FSPL to fund the MFB and CFA, which provides fire and rescue services.

Under this system, a number of organisations exempt from municipal rates will contribute to the levy, as a rateable property.

Eligible pensioners and Veterans will get a $50 concession per household from the levy and the GST and stamp duty which was being charged on fire service levies under insurance policies will be abolished. For more information, visit the State Revenue Office’s FSPL website at http://www.firelevy.vic.gov.au or the SRO’s website http://www.sro.vic.gov.au.

What are the other charges on my rate notice?

Garbage and Recycling Charges

Some areas across the municipality are in declared compulsory garbage areas, whilst others can elect to receive the garbage and recycling service (non-compulsory area).  For further information regarding waste management services, please contact Council’s Waste Management Service Team.

Waste Management Service Charge

This charge is applied to all rateable properties and covers the costs of:

  • Supplying and servicing all street, park, and reserve litter bins
  • Collection of loose litter, rubbish spills, etc (shire wide) as requested/advised by ratepayers/residents
  • Mechanical sweeping of roads, channels, and footpaths to reduce litter and waste
  • Compliance costs to enforce laws relating to wilful littering and dumping of waste
  • Transfer Station Infrastructure

State Landfill Levy

The State Landfill Levy is a State Government imposed a levy on refuse sent to landfill. The Moorabool Shire Council charge is based on actual tonnage delivered to landfill. The State Government will invest the funds raised by the levy to help businesses, councils, households, and communities address waste and its environmental impacts.

Am I entitled to a pension rebate?

The Local Government Act 1989 provides that eligible pensioners shall receive a rebate of rates and charges levied and under guidelines of the Department of Human and Health Services. Council offers a pension rebate to all eligible pensioners and some Veteran Affairs cardholders.

For the 2019/20 financial year, pensioners who hold an eligible concession card may be entitled to receive a rebate up to the value of $235.15. The rebate applies only to the principal place of residence of the pension cardholder.

If you are in receipt of an eligible card and are not already being granted a pension rebate, or would like to discuss your eligibility, please contact Council’s Revenue Services team to further discuss your eligibility.

For further information regarding the Department of Human and Health Services concessions, please visit the Department’s website.

Application for Concession on Municipal Rates and Charges (PDF, 297.49KB)

Fencing Information Requests

Due to Council's requirements to adhere to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014, the provision of property ownership information to other property owners must be in accordance with other legislative requirements.

If you require neighbouring property ownership information for the purpose of fencing, the prescribed Council Fence Information application form (DOC, 52 KB), must be completed in its entirety and submitted.

For further information, please contact us.

Related Information

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I change my mailing address or name?

    How do I change my mailing address or name? 

    If you are a property owner, ratepayer, or animal owner, you must notify us of any changes to your mailing address or name. 


    Change your mailing address or name by post, email, or in-person 

    1. Download the relevant form below or call us on (03) 5366 7100 to request a paper form be sent to you
    2. Complete the form 
    3. Return the form by email, post or in-person to our office


    Change of name or address forms

    Notice of Change of Address

    Notice of Change of Name



  • Why has the ownership information not been updated on the rate notice?


    When ownership of a property changes, the purchaser's solicitor will forward a Notice of Acquisition to Council. If this is not provided, the owner must provide supporting documentation from the Land Titles Office indicating ownership changes.

  • How do I allow a family member or friend to discuss my rate account with Council?

    If you need Council to discuss your property details with somebody not registered you will need to send a letter or email to Council.

    The notification must be from the registered owner(s) stating that they authorise Council to discuss matters associated with their property with the name of the third party.

    When the registered owner of the property is no longer able to manage their own affairs, any client wishing to discuss the account with Council must provide documented evidence that they have the lawful ability to act on the person's behalf.

Last Updated:

Wednesday, 25 May, 2016 - 10:45