As a requirement under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, all dogs and cats over the age of 3 months are required to be registered with Council.
COVID-19 financial assistance
Council understands the unprecedented nature of the current pandemic and we are committed to supporting our community through this period of uncertainty.
If you are experiencing financial hardship, Council has options available to you to help with your pet registration payment.
Did you know?
- Owners of dogs and cats currently registered with Council are required to renew their registration by April 10 each year
- Dogs and cats registered for the first time with Council must be implanted with a microchip
- Registered pets are issued with with a unique number which must be worn at all times when outside your property
- Failure to apply or renew the registration of your dog or cat may result in an infringement notice being issued per pet
Registering your pet for the first time?
To register your pet, please follow these steps:
- Download and fill out the Pet Registration form
- Include your pet's microchip number and certificate
- Submit your application to email@example.com (postal addresses included in form)
Do you qualify for a concession?
- A reduced fee may apply if your dog or cat meets the requirements set by the State Government
- Eligible pensioners are also entitled to a reduced registration fee
- To qualify for a reduced fee you must provide documentation or complete a statutory declaration
A committment to responsible pet ownership
- Moorabool Shire Council is committed to promoting responsible pet ownership
- We have introduced an initial registration fee for dogs and cats under 12 months of age being registered with Council for the first time
- A State Government Levy is applied to all dog and cat registrations to fund responsible pet ownership education programs
- This fee is incorporated within your registration payment
Dog and cat registration fees (from 11 April 2020 to 10 April 2021)
|REDUCED FEE (See FAQ below for reduced fees)||64.00||32.00|
|Initial registration and dog under 12 months of age (Proof of age required)||7.50||7.50|
|Formal Foster Dog - Fostered through registered Pound, Shelter or Rescue (Copy of foster care agreement must be sighted)||7.50||7.50|
|Guide Dog or Government Dog||No Fee||No Fee|
|Dog – declared dangerous, restricted breed and menacing||660.00||660.00|
|FULL FEE: Dog not included in above||198.00||99.00|
|REDUCED FEE (See FAQ below for reduced fees)||58.50||29.25|
|Initial registration and cat under 12 months of age (Proof of age required)||7.50||7.50|
|Formal Foster Cat - Fostered through registered Pound, Shelter or Rescue (Copy of foster care agreement must be sighted)||7.50||7.50|
FULL FEE: Cat not included in above