Council is committed to encouraging young people and service providers to be actively involved in the development of programs and services that meet the needs of young people in the shire.
Moorabool Youth Services provides a range of programs and activities in partnership with young people, schools, community groups and other agencies.
There are a range of activities, support services and programs available for youth in Moorabool! Whether you're into music, sport, events or just hanging out with friends, our youth services team has something for you. Our youth website will give you all the details you need to get involved in activities and find youth-related services.
The Youth Action Group (YAG) has been established as a result of Council’s commitment to ensuring that young people have a genuine opportunity to participate in the decision-making processes of Council.
Initially funded through a State Government grant, the Youth Action Group was adopted as part of the 2013 – 2016 Youth Strategy, which recommended that Council “establish a mechanism to assist young people to develop a Youth Charter which enables them to have a dialogue on issues that impact on them”. YAG has and will continue to consult with young people and the community to find out what young people see as important to them and work with Council to try to meet the identified youth needs. The Youth Action Group is open to all young people who are aged between 12 – 25 years who live, work or study in Moorabool Shire.
What the Youth Action Group have done so far.
- Consulted with 160 local young people and developed the Youth Charter for Moorabool Shire
- Applied for, and was granted funding to organise and run Youth Fest 2014
- Designed their own Logo, Badges & T-Shirts
- Met with the Governor of Victoria
- Undertaken courses including Food Handlers, First Aid and Public Speaking
- Applied for, and was granted funding to organise and run events during National Youth Week 2015, 2016 & 2017
- Organised the Youth Forum held during National Youth Week 2015
- Applied for, and was granted funding to organise and run the Mental Health Youth Forum 2018
- Continuous networking with Council units, Councillors, the Mayor of Moorabool Shire and external youth support agencies
- Awarded ‘The Mayors Award’ at the 2015 Moorabool Shire Youth Awards
- Attended leadership camps
- Advocated to local and State government on issues affecting local young people in regards to transport and safety
- Provided advice to local Council on the Youth Strategy 2018 - 2021
The Youth Action Group currently meets fortnightly on Thursdays from 4 – 5pm at the Lerderderg Library, Bacchus Marsh. If you are interested in the Youth Action Group or would like more information, you may contact the Youth Services team. Email: email@example.com Phone: 5366 7100 Facebook: www.facebook.com/mooraboolyouthservices Instagram: mooraboolyouthservices Snapchat: msyouthservices
Our Youth Services will be opening up Studio 22 as a place for young people aged 12-18 years. There will be heaps to do and lots of fun, video games, art & craft, shoot hoops, nail art, and lots more. No need to book, just complete the permission form and either email back to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it along with you on the day.
All young people in Moorabool are invited to come along, enjoy the activities and talk to us about the things you would like to see happening in Moorabool for young people.
Keep an eye on the Facebook page for detailed info: www.facebook.com/mooraboolyouthservices
Open Term 1 2018 (from 30th January): Tuesdays & Wednesdays 3.30pm - 6.00pm
Studio 22 is located at the Council Offices and Community Hub 182 Hallett’s Way Darley, enter via gate 3.
YOUTH SPACE for young people aged 12 - 18 years (or in Grade 6 Term 4).
VIDEO GAMES - HOMEWORK & JOB SEARCH SUPPORT - POOL TABLE - AIR HOCKEY - BOARD GAMES - SPORTS - COOKING ACTIVITIES - ART - AND MORE!
There is lots happening these school holidays for those aged 12-18 years (12-year-olds must be attending secondary college)
- Wednesday 4 April Excursion to the Melbourne Zoo, for more info and to book: Closed
- Friday 6 April Studio 22 Fun, for more info and to book: https://www.trybooking.com/UWBB
- Wednesday 11 April Excursion to ArtVo & Street Art, for more info and to book: https://www.trybooking.com/UXXP
- Thursday 12 April Studio 22 & Bunnings Workshop, for more info and to book: https://www.trybooking.com/UXXM
You will be emailed additional info and permission forms after you have booked.
Got questions? Need more info? Contact Linda at email@example.com or call 53 66 7100.
Moorabool Youth Month is a month-long celebration of our local young people (aged 12 – 25 years). Moorabool Youth Services will provide opportunities for young people to participate in a range of fun events and programs throughout the month, where we will celebrate the positive contributions that young people make to our Shire.
- Ballan Skate, Scooter BMX Competition with Street Art Workshop – Saturday 7 April
- Bacchus Marsh Skate, Scooter BMX Competition with Street Art Workshop – Saturday 14 April
- Mental Health Youth Forum – Thursday 19 April
- Art Exhibition – 2 April to 24 April
- 2018 Youth Awards – 24 April
- Youth School Holiday Program (Excursions 4 & 11 April & Studio 22 6 & 12 April)
The Moorabool Youth Awards recognise the contributions young people make to Moorabool. Anyone aged between 12 and 25 years as at 30 April 2018, who lives, works, goes to school or has other significant connections to Moorabool Shire, and has made a contribution to their community, is eligible to be nominated for this award. Contributions can include an achievement in an area of interest such as sport, arts, voluntary service to the community or someone who has overcome significant adversity.
Anyone can nominate and young people can even self-nominate.
If a nominee is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian of the nominee must give permission for the nominee to be part of the Awards.
Nominations have now closed and winners will be announced at the awards night on Tuesday 24 April 2018 as part of Moorabool Youth Month.
This year FReeZA Committee is running an Art Competition for anyone aged 12 to 25 years. The four categories are:
- Digital (Photo’s / Movies/ animation/ digital drawing)
- Paint/ Charcoal
- Pencil (drawing / shading etc.)
The theme category allows you to create an art piece with a theme. The theme chosen for this year is “Night”. To enter in the themed Category, your art piece must relate to night, in any way you feel appropriate.
Participants are to submit a photo or a soft copy of their art to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a physical copy of the artwork at Council Offices, 182 Halletts Ways Darley, by Thursday 29 March 2018. There will be a winner for each category and a people's choice winner where people within the community will have the opportunity to vote on the artwork.
The awards will be presented on Tuesday 24 April 2018 as part of Moorabool Youth Month.
Please fill out your details below and submit via the email above if you wish to enter the competition. For more information, contact Ebony Barker on 53 66 7100 or email: email@example.com