Education and care services

Share Tweet Print More Options
A child painting

Education and care services

Services that provide Early Childhood Education or Care for children in the absence of their parents or guardians generally need a service approval or license.

These services include:

  • kindergartens
  • long daycare services
  • occasional care 
  • kindergartens
  • outside school hours care services 
  • family daycare services


Jump to a section:


Kindergarten (preschool)

Kindergarten is an early learning program for children in the year before school entry. Kindergarten programs are designed to engage children in quality learning experiences and provide them with opportunities to develop their cognitive, creative, social, emotional and physical skills. Children have the opportunity to build their self-confidence and gain the ability to use language through playing.

Enrolment for 4 year olds in kindergarten

Council allocates kindergarten places in 4-year-old kindergarten programs on behalf of 5 kindergartens located in Moorabool:

  • Young Street (Bacchus Marsh)
  • Darley
  • Montessori (Darley)
  • Wallace 
  • Ballan 

Enrolments for 2022 are now open. Children must turn 4 years old before 30 April in the year they are to attend kindergarten. For more information regarding enrolment for 2022, read the information booklet.

Applications for enrolment are completed through the online form.

Please note that before applying online, you will need to create an account, please ensure you activate your account via the email sent to you before proceeding.

You will need your credit card and a digital copy (eg photo or PDF) of your proof of Moorabool residence to upload to your online application. For more assistance email



Please note, Council is only responsible for allocating 4-year-old kindergarten places.

To find out more about the kindergarten services and for information regarding session times, orientation, and fees please contact the kindergarten directly.


Enrolment for 3 year olds in kindergarten

To enrol your child in a 3-year-old kindergarten program for 2021 or 2022, please contact your preferred kindergarten directly.

Council will begin the central allocation of 3-year-old kindergarten places in 2022 for the 2023 kindergarten year.


Kindergartens in the Shire:

88 Simpson, Ballan Victoria, 3342
Ph: (03) 5368 1228
Darley Early Years Hub
182 Halletts Way, Darley Victoria, 3340
Ph: (03) 5367 2206
Corner of Young and Bennett Street, Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340
Ph: (03) 5367 2443
176 Gisborne Road, Darley Victoria, 3340
Ph: (03) 5367 7706
739 Bungaree- Wallace Road, Wallace Victoria, 3352
Ph: (03) 5334 0268











Find your nearest kindergarten or pre-school and talk directly about their educational program.


Occasional Care

Occasional Care provides flexible hours of quality child care for children aged 6 months up to school age. The service provides families with the opportunity for their children to engage in early childhood learning on days and hours that best meets their needs. Families can access the service regularly on a sessional basis, irregularly, or on short notice. The fees reflect the amount of time a child spends in care.

For the latest information about the service see:

2021 Program Information

2021 Enrolment Form


The local Occasional Care Service is at the Darley Early Years Hub, 182 Halletts Way, Darley.

Session Times

  • Monday:       9:00am – 2:00 pm
  • Wednesday: 9:00am – 2:00 pm
  • Friday:          9:00am – 2:00 pm

It does not operate on Public Holidays or during the School Holidays.


Families are welcome to experience the program with their children and to meet the Educators and ask any questions.

Please email to request an enrolment form.

Fees and Payments

Fees: $9.50 per hour

Payments can be paid via EFTPOS in person at the Darley Early Years Hub,182 Halletts Way, Darley. Cash payments are not accepted. Bookings are confirmed when payments have been received in full.

How to earn Care vouchers

Foodworks Bacchus Marsh provides vouchers to families enrolled in the Occasional Care Service. For every $500 spent at Food Works Bacchus Marsh, families can receive $12 off their fees. Vouchers are available from the Occasional Care Service and Foodworks Bacchus Marsh.


A girl in front of a small plant

Family Day Care is an approved form of child care that is provided in an educators' own home. Family Day Care educators must be registered with a service that is responsible for approving, supporting, and training its educators.

Family Day Care operates under the National Quality Framework and parents/carers are eligible for the Federal Government Child Care Benefit and Child Care Rebate subsidies.

Family Day Care services in Moorabool

If you are looking for Family Day Care or want to become a Family Day Care Educator please head to the Australian Government's Childcare Finder website.

To view Family Day Care Services select in-home care in the search filter.


A boy on his bicycle


  • Long day care is sometimes referred to as centre-based care
  • Care is in a building that has been created specifically for use as a child care centre
  • Operating hours usually from 7.00 am until 6.00 pm
  • Programs are created around the developmental needs and interests of children aged 0-6 years
  • Many centres offer meals throughout the day 

Who runs them?

  • Private companies, local councils, community organisations, individuals, non-profit organisations or by employers for their staff
  • A majority are approved child care services. This means that some households may be eligible for a childcare subsidy
  • Approved services must also show that they are meeting certain quality standards
  • Services operate under the National Quality Framework

Further information

To find out more about Long Day Care centres visit the Department of Education & Training website or the Starting Blocks website.



More information on choosing an Early Childhood Education and Care service for your child.

Additional resources for information about Early Childhood Education and Care

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I find Child Care & Kindergarten in my area?

    You can find all Services and vacancies by visiting the Australian Government My Child Website which will provide the most up to date listing of Services across Australia, alternatively for Services in Moorabool have a look at our Education and Care Pages.

  • How do I find a Primary or Secondary School in the area?

    You can find primary and secondary schools by visiting Department of Education and Training

  • How do I find local services for my child?

    To find local child and family service providers take a look at the In the Land of Moorabool parent book (PDF, 8.6MB). Alternatively you can contact us and we can send you a hard copy.

Last Updated:

Saturday, 11 June, 2016 - 14:05