Find out about closures, changes to services, facilities, events and keeping yourselves safe, visit our COVID-19 update.

Regional Assessment service

Share Tweet Print More Options
Old person in wheelchair

Home Support Assessment

The Victorian Regional Assessment Service (or RAS) is funded by the Australian Government and is managed in Victoria by the Victorian Government. 

In Victoria, Home Support Assessors are employed by designated organisations contracted by the Victorian Department of Health & Human Services to deliver Home Support Assessment in My Aged Care.

Home Support Assessors undertake face-to-face assessments with people aged 65 years and over (or aged 50+ Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander) who require support to maintain their independence.

What happens at a Home Support Assessment?

The Assessment will involve a face-to-face meeting.  Assessors will work with you to identify and access appropriate supports you need to promote and enhance your independence at home and in your community and/or to support your carer.

Assessors will work with you to develop a support plan, which will identify your strengths and your areas of difficulty, your goals and what you would like to achieve. A plan will enable you and the assessor to identify the types of support that will best suit you as you work towards achieving your goals.

Support may be provided by services or it may be things you can do yourself, or with the help of people you know, to meet your goals.

If required, your Home Support Assessor can make referrals on your behalf to service providers.  Your support plan contains the contact details of the service providers to which referrals have been sent. The service provider will contact you to discuss the commencement of your service.  They may come to visit you in your home, or telephone you, to discuss your service.  You may wish to contact the service provider directly on the number provided in your support plan.

Alternatively, you may choose to contact your chosen service provider yourself.  In this case, your Home Support Assessor will provide you with a referral code.  You will need to contact your chosen service provider and discuss service availability with them.  You will need to provide the referral code to your chosen provider to access the service.

You may choose to have a copy of your support plan sent to you or alternatively, you may view your support plan via the client portal in My Aged Care (see “Access to My Aged Care Client portal below)).  If you have any questions or concerns with the details of your support plan please contact your assessor.

If you feel your needs have changed following your assessment, you may request a review of your support plan by calling your assessor or the My Aged Care Contact Centre on 1800 422 200. 

Complaints and Feedback

Last Updated:

Thursday, 6 September, 2018 - 10:37