Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Share Tweet Print More Options

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page contains answers to commonly raised queries about the services offered by Moorabool Shire Council. Use the category dropdown to filter FAQs or enter keywords to search all FAQs.

  • How do I obtain a building permit?

    A building permit can be obtained by contacting a private building surveyor of your choice.  The surveyor should be engaged early in the process and will advise on what documentation you need to obtain the building permit. Building permit fees can vary depending on which building surveyor you choose.

  • When is a building permit required?

    A building permit is required for most building works unless exempted under Schedule 3 of the Building Regulations 2018.

    The Victorian Building Authority pdf document when is a building permit required  provides specific advice on when a building permit is required for certain works.

    If you are still unsure please contact Council on 5366 7100 or for further clarification.

  • Does Council's waste collections operate on Public Holidays?

    There are no kerbside collections on Christmas Day, New Years Day or Good Friday. The alternative collection days are advertised online and in local newspapers prior to these days.

    Collection services operate as per normal schedule on all other Public Holidays. 

  • Can property owners apply for multiple kerbside services?

    Yes, eligible property owners can apply for a kerbside garbage, recycling and/or greenwaste service. Garbage and greenwaste bins can be purchased through Council and recycling bins are provided at no cost. The service fee for waste services is payable annually through property rates.

  • What happens if my bin has been half-emptied?

    Overfilling or compacting materials into the bin generally cause half-emptied bins. The force applied by the truck mechanism during emptying will not remove items that have been compacted into the bin. Loosely separate the remaining materials in the bin and report the half-emptied bin to Council. All half-emptied bin requests are recorded by Council and will not return to properties who repeatedly overfill or compact their bins.

  • Many of the myths currently being reported in the media are suggesting that recycling doesn’t make a difference anymore. It’s time to set the record straight!

    MYTH 1:

    "China has banned recyclables."


    China is still accepting recyclables if they are separated and have minimal amounts of unacceptable materials.


    MYTH 2:

    "All our recycling goes to China."


    Only a small portion of our state's kerbside recycling is sent to China. The rest is processed right here in Victoria.


    MYTH 3:

    "China’s new recycling standards can’t be met."


    Recycling processors in Victoria have already responded by changing the way plastics and paper/cardboard are sorted.

    Paper and cardboard is being sorted to a higher level to remove items that shouldn’t be in there. Processors are also investing in, and installing, new technology to further process plastics to ensure it is in an acceptable state for international markets.


    MYTH 4:

    'All recycling goes to landfill."


    Recyclable material is a valuable resource. It’s used to make new botttles, cans, paper and cardboard products. It's also transformed into road base, outdoor furniture and recycled office and toilet paper, just to name a few.


    MYTH 5:

    "It doesn’t matter if I put the wrong thing in my recycling bin."


    If you put the wrong things in your recycling bin this is known as contamination. Contamination increases the costs for processors as they have to spend more time and money sorting and removing the rubbish. This means we all end up paying more for our recycling service. The best way for us to combat this as a community is to know what you can and can’t recycle. For example, plastic bags never belong in your recycling bin, not even loose. For more tips, please check Council’s Waste Information Booklet (PDF, 5MB) or ask our friendly Waste Services team.


    Thank you for recycling right! Your actions help support innovative, emerging industries on shore.


  • Can I extend my existing crossing?

    Approvals for extensions are subject to factors including the condition of the existing vehicle crossing, clearances and the length of property frontage.

  • Can I construct a second crossing?

    Approval for a second crossing may only be given if the property frontage is greater than 20 metres and if would not lead to any other complications.

  • How long does it take for the application to be processed?

    Applicants should allow up to 10 business days.

  • Do I need a building permit for my Half Cost Fencing application?

    A building permit is only required if the fence height will be 2 metres or above.