Residential waste services

We collect kerbside garbage, recyclables, and green waste from households within established collection areas. We also provide these services for other areas with sufficient demand.

Bin types and collection areas

Bin types 

Your bins have a dark green body with:

  • a red lid for garbage
  • a yellow lid for recycling
  • a lime green lid for green waste

Bin allocation 

  • The size of your bins depend on where you live in the Shire
  • Garbage and green waste bins must be purchased from Council
  • Recycling bins are Council property and must be left behind if you move to a new house

Urban areas

  • Classified as Bacchus Marsh, Darley, Hopetoun Park, Ballan Township
  • Compulsory 120L garbage (weekly collection)
  • Compulsory 240L recycling (fortnightly collection)
  • Optional 240L green waste (fortnightly collection)

Rural areas

  • Classified as Townships and Rural Living Zones
  • Compulsory 240L garbage (fortnightly collection)
  • 240L recycling (fortnightly collection)

Non-compulsory areas

If you live in a non-compulsory area, you have the option to:

  • Use Council’s 240L garbage and 240L recycling collected fortnightly
  • Manage waste though a private company, or
  • Buy Transfer Station Vouchers from Council

Non-serviced areas (no Council service available)

If you live in a non- area, you have the option to: 

  • Manage waste though a private company, or
  • Buy Transfer Station Vouchers from Council

Damaged bins

  • Green waste and garbage bins purchased from Council are covered by a 5 year warranty and can be replaced if damaged during this time
  • At no cost, Council will replace broken lids, pins, wheels, and axles on any bin
  • Leave your bin in an accessible location for the repair job - you do not need to be home
  • Recycling bins will be replaced by Council, regardless of the age of the bin

Report a damaged bin online

Missed bins

  • If your bins were placed out correctly and on time, you can arrange for bins to be collected if they have been overlooked
  • Truck camera footage tells us if bins were put out on time
  • Please do not re-fill bins after a collection (this is an unacceptable practice)

Report a missed bin collection online 

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if my bin has been half-emptied?

Overfilling or compacting materials into the bin generally cause half-emptied bins. The force applied by the truck mechanism during emptying will not remove items that have been compacted into the bin. Loosely separate the remaining materials in the bin and report the half-emptied bin to Council. All half-emptied bin requests are recorded by Council and will not return to properties who repeatedly overfill or compact their bins.

Can property owners apply for multiple kerbside services?

Yes, eligible property owners can apply for a kerbside garbage, recycling and/or greenwaste service. Garbage and greenwaste bins can be purchased through Council and recycling bins are provided at no cost. The service fee for waste services is payable annually through property rates.

Does Council's waste collections operate on Public Holidays?

There are no kerbside collections on Christmas Day, New Years Day or Good Friday. The alternative collection days are advertised online and in local newspapers prior to these days.

Collection services operate as per normal schedule on all other Public Holidays.