Pets and livestock

Our Community Safety team can help with tips on responsible pet ownership, along with what to do with injured wildlife and controlling pests.

Responsible pet ownership

Click on a link to skip to a section

Dog attacks

A dog of any size or breed can become aggressive when defending its territory. Even a friendly dog may guard the area on or around his/her property, especially when you are not present.

Most dog attacks in public places occur on the footpath or road bordering the attacking dog's property. For this reason, it is important to make sure your dog is securely contained.

Council’s Community Safety team takes reported dog attacks very seriously and responds immediately.


Exercising your dog

A picture of a beagle dog in the park on a leash.

Throughout Moorabool Shire, dogs must be kept on a leash in public, except at the following designated areas:

  • Peppertree Park, Bacchus Marsh
  • Federation Park, Bacchus Marsh
  • Reserve adjacent to the Lerderderg River, Bacchus Marsh (from the pump shed to the bridge)
  • Reserve on the western side of Links Road behind houses in Pamela Court, Darley
  • Telford Park, Darley
  • Caledonia Park, Ballan
  • Road East Recreation Reserve, Mt Egerton
  • Lyndhurst Street Public Park & Water Reserve, Gordon
  • Parkers Road Reserve, Lal Lal
  • The vacant land at the southeast corner of the Dunnstown Recreation Reserve

Dogs can be exercised off-leash, after 4.30 pm Monday to Friday and on weekends, when the following reserves are not in use for designated public sporting events, training, and/or special events, as designated by the Committee of management:

  • Masons Lane
  • Blackwood Recreation Reserve
  • Myrniong Recreation Reserve

Dogs can be exercised off-leash, when not in use for designated public sporting events, training and/or special events, as designated by the Committee of management:

  • Bungaree-Creswick Road Reserve
  • Ormond Road/Western Highway Recreation Reserve, Wallace

Barking dogs

Dogs that bark excessively can be a source of irritation for neighbours.

Talking to your neighbours or leaving a friendly letter in their mailbox is the first step to attempting to solve any issues. Often dog owners may not be aware of their dog barks.

There are a number of reasons a dog may bark, including boredom, medical reasons, fear or seeking attention.

Some possible solutions may include increasing your dog’s walks and outings, using a designed off-leash area for your dog to run and undertaking doggy training.

Under the Domestic Animals Act, it is an offense for an owner to allow their dog to be a nuisance, where it interferes with a neighbour’s peace and comfort.

If you are unable to resolve the matter with your neighbour, Council can help. The Community Safety team will need a completed barking dog form or a letter that outlines the problem, including the neighbour's address, the response form approaching them and when the problem occurs.

Council will send the dog owner, and the complainant, a letter acknowledging the report. The dog owner will be sent tips that might assist, and the owner is given 14 days to address the issue or contact Council. If after 14 days, the dog is still an issue, the person who made the initial complaint will need to keep a barking dog diary, which will be followed up by community safety officers.


Trespassing and nuisance cats

A picture of a grey cat.

Cats allowed to roam outdoors, especially at night can cause accidents, get into fights and even catch diseases.

Under the Domestic Animals Act, cats are not allowed to trespass on other people’s property.

It is recommended cat owners, consider purchasing or constructing a cat enclosure to ensure their cat is contained to their property. Keeping your cat inside at night is another way to prevent it from roaming.

To assist residents with nuisance or trespassing cats, Council provides a humane cat trap hire service. Cat traps can be hired from the Ballan or Darley Council Offices.

Animal Cruelty

RSPCA and Council’s Community Safety Officers often work in collaboration, when investigating reports of animal cruelty.

If you have concerns for an animal’s welfare, call the RSPCA on 03 9224 2222 or report online.

To find out more about responsible pet ownership, visit the DEDJTR website (Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources).

All Victorian Councils are legally required to prepare a domestic animal management plan(DOC, 18MB). The plan is ensure there is a strategic approach with animal management.

Livestock on Roads

A picture of a flock of sheep under blue sky

Wandering stock onto roads is a risk to motorists, the public and the animal itself.

It is the responsibility of the landowner and/or animal owner, to ensure livestock is adequately contained to its property.

Council’s Community Safety team is authorised under the Impounding of Livestock Act to impound livestock.

It is an offence for a person to allow livestock to wander or to fail to adequately confine livestock to a property.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I report a dog attack?

Council’s Community Safety team takes dog attacks very seriously and encourages the reporting of them.

Officers will need the following information: 

  • The date and time when the incident happened
  • The breed of dog involved 
  • Where the incident occured
  • What happened
  • The location of where the dog lives, if known

To make a dog attack report, please contact us.

What happens if my dog rushes or chases someone?

If your dog rushes at or chases someone, you may be fined, and your dog declared as a menacing dog. Legally dogs must be kept under effective control at all times and be kept on leash except at designated off leash areas.

How do I report livestock on a road?

Council’s Community Safety team respond to reports of livestock wandering onto Council roads.

To report livestock on a Council road, please call Customer Service.

If outside business hours, please call the Community Safety Emergency line on 0400 501 696.

To report livestock on a VicRoads managed road (eg) call 13 11 70, 24 hours a day.

In an emergency, you can always call the Police on 000.


Related Information

Lost and found pets
Register an Animal