Moorabool Shire Council Offers Free Firewood to the Community
Published on 16 November 2021
Update: We have been offering free mulch and firewood to Moorabool residents, processed from storm debris.
There is a limited amount available. Please keep an eye on our Facebook page for future announcements.
As a result of the June storm event which caused widespread damage across the Moorabool Shire, we have an amount of unseasoned split firewood that we are offering free to Moorabool Shire residents. This firewood is a by-product of Council's clean-up and recovery efforts.
Residents are able to collect a maximum of 1 cubic metre of firewood per household for free at the Ballan Transfer Station, which is located at Monteville Lane, Ballan.
Upon arrival at the Ballan Transfer Station, the resident will be required to provide the Transfer Station Operator or contractor with photographic identification and proof of address (e.g. drivers licence or rates notice). A machine will then load the customers trailer or utility with firewood.
All loads MUST be secured with a tarp or similar before driving home.
Please note that only trailers, and utilities with aluminium trays are able to be filled by the machine, and that the machine is unable to load ute bodies with standard tubs due to the risk of the firewood impacting on the side/rear of vehicles which may cause damage.
Also note that free mulch will not be available during these days, to allow Council to focus on firewood distribution, and to ensure safety is maintained at the Transfer Station.
Residents can book a 10 minute time slot between 1.30pm - 4.30pm on allocated collection days.
Two residents will be collecting firewood in each 10 minute slot so please practice caution around others.
BOOK ONLINE HERE: https://bookeo.com/bookmyself?type=3353ML9MF317D086BCAF8
How do I prepare the wood for burning?
This is green, unseasoned firewood which requires drying prior to being burnt. It is not suitable to be burnt this season. To help the wood dry properly, place it in a covered, airy location. Green wood may take 12-18 months to dry out.
I need assistance to book
If you are unable to book using the website link, please ask a friend or family member to book for you.
If you are still unable to book, please contact Moorabool Shire Councils Customer Service team on (03) 5366 7100 to assist you.
I don’t have a trailer or ute, how can I collect firewood?
Do you have a friend or family member with a trailer or ute who can collect firewood for you? You will need a vehicle that can safely carry 1 cubic metre of firewood, that MUST be secured under a tarp or similar.
I want to collect for my neighbour or relative
No problem, please ensure you register in your neighbour or relatives’ name and have a copy of a rates notice or driver’s licence.
Can I book for more than 1 load?
Due to the very limited quantity of firewood available, we’ve capped the program at 1 cubic metre per household.
Further dates may be released in the future dependent upon firewood stock levels.
Please do not book in for collection during future rounds if you have already collected a load.
I live outside Moorabool Shire, can I collect free firewood?
This program is open to residents and ratepayers of Moorabool Shire only.
What happens on the day?
- Please arrive on time and follow the safety directions of the Transfer Station Operator and Contractors.
- Please follow Covid-19 safe practices.
- Please remain in your vehicle while we load your trailer/utility.
- Please bring along your identification to prove you are a resident or ratepayer in Moorabool Shire (driver licence or rates notice).
- You are responsible for your vehicle and trailer while on-site and when you leave the transfer station. You are responsible for securing your load safely for the journey home.
- Council will follow safe procedures for loading the firewood (but will not engage in manual handling).
- The Transfer Station Operator, Council contractors, or Council staff reserves the right to refuse to fill unsafe trailers/utility vehicles.
- Suitable safe areas along the side of Monteville Lane (just outside of the Transfer Station gates) are available for you to secure your load before continuing your journey. You MUST secure your load under a tarp or similar.
- Poor behaviour and abuse toward our contractors or staff will not be tolerated. Council reserves the right to ask you to leave at any time.
- Moorabool Shire Council reserves the right to cancel or amend the program at their discretion.