This program provides assistance to people experiencing financial hardship because of a single house fire or a natural disaster related emergency such as bushfire, flood, severe storm or earthquake.
Emergency relief assistance may be available for up to 7 days after the emergency event. A one-off payment is provided to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication and accommodation.
A needs assessment is carried out by a Personal Hardship Assistance Officer to determine eligibility.
Relief payments are not available:
- To cover the costs of cleaning up fallen trees or branches on properties
- To cover the cost of repairing or replacing fences. If a tree has fallen on your house, please call the SES or your local council for more information
- For loses or impacts associated with power outages. Contact your energy distributor if you have any questions
- To cover business losses or compensate for lost income
- Motor vehicle repairs or towing
- Paying insurance excess.