Personal hardship financial assistance

Find financial funding opportunities to help you during this time.



If you're affected by a recent event or disaster, such as a flood, bushfire, COVID-19, cyclone, drought or storm there’s no need to worry about your tax affairs right away.

Find out more.


If you’ve been adversely affected by the storms and floods you may be eligible for the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment. If you’ve lost income as a direct result of the storms and floods you may be eligible for the Disaster Recovery Allowance.

You have until 16 December 2021 to claim.

Find out more.(PDF, 78KB)


Find out how to apply.

This program provides assistance to people experiencing financial hardship because of a single house fire or a natural disaster related emergency such as bushfire, flood, severe storm or earthquake.

Emergency relief assistance may be available for up to 7 days after the emergency event. A one-off payment is provided to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication and accommodation.

A needs assessment is carried out by a Personal Hardship Assistance Officer to determine eligibility.

Relief payments are not available:

  • To cover the costs of cleaning up fallen trees or branches on properties
  • To cover the cost of repairing or replacing fences. If a tree has fallen on your house, please call the SES or your local council for more information
  • For loses or impacts associated with power outages. Contact your energy distributor if you have any questions
  • To cover business losses or compensate for lost income
  • Motor vehicle repairs or towing
  • Paying insurance excess.