Emergency Fire Preparation Work - Permit for Travel Exemption

As per State Government requirements to reduce the spread of COVID-19, a permit to travel into Moorabool Shire from Metropolitan Melbourne and other locked down parts of Victoria will be required for residents wanting to do fire preparation work on their properties.
Applications are now closed as the border between Metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria will be re-opened from Friday 29 October 2021 at 6pm.

Please Note: You must comply with all of the provisions listed on this page when submitting your permit application. If you do not comply with these provisions your permit will be denied.  

Permits MUST be applied for at least 7 days prior to your desired date of travel. This is to allow Council time to assess and issue the permit. Permits applied for with less than 7 days prior to the requested permit start date will be denied. 

You MUST carry a copy of your permit and the rates notice for the associated property at all times when conducting works and traveling to and from the property. 

The earliest date allowed for travel is Monday 11th of October, 2021.  

Ensure that you have supplied all additional information and supporting documentation with your online application. You will not be able to add further supporting documents or information once an application has been submitted online. 

A list of local contractors who undertake fire preparation works can be found HERE

Which property types are eligible for a permit for travel exemption?

Properties located in a Bushfire Management Overlay (BMO) or Victorian Fire Risk registry (VFRR) area are eligible for a permit. If you have been issued with a Fire Prevention notice by Council on your property you are eligible for a permit. Other properties will be issued a permit at the discretion of Council on a needs basis as determined by Council. 

Occupied properties less than 2000sqm in size in built up residential areas outside of a BMO or VFRR areas are unlikely to be issued a permit without strong supporting evidence being provided with the application. 

If the property is occupied, the property owner must submit evidence with their application that it is their responsibility to maintain the property for fire preparedness. If this evidence is not supplied on application the permit will be denied. 

Who can travel within Victoria to undertake works on a property before or after an emergency?

When you apply to the local council, you may nominate members of your household, immediate family members or intimate partner (provided you are permitted to gather with them under the restrictions) to help you prepare your property for emergencies. 

If your travel is approved by the local council, the letter of support issued will provide details of the household, immediate family members or intimate partner you have nominated to assist you in preparing your property for emergencies. 

Anyone travelling with you must be from your household, immediate family or intimate partner and you must have provided their names and details to the local council when you applied for travel. You may NOT bring any person with you from outside of your household bubble. 

If necessary, dependents of adults yourself and other adults from your household listed on your permit may travel with you.  

I am not capable of conducting the work myself, can I nominate someone else to do the work?

It is at the discretion of the owner whether they do the works themselves, request a nominated representative to do the work, or engage a contractor. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged. A list of local contractors who undertake fire preparation works can be found HERE

Who can I nominate to do the works on my behalf?

You can nominate one other adult person to undertake works on your behalf, however you or members of your household are not able to attend your property if you nominate another person. 

What if I cannot complete all required work in 72 hours?

You may apply for another permit after the expiry of your current permit. Please ensure you allow 7 days for Council to assess and issue you a new permit.  

Can I stay in local accommodation whilst undertaking the work?

You or your nominated representative travel with all restrictions placed upon you from your home residential area.  As such it is highly unlikely that you will be able to access local accommodation to stay in overnight. 

Can property owners or the nominated representatives attend shops for supplies to undertake the preparation (e.g. tools)?

When traveling any person must comply with the restrictions in the place of their primary residence.   

In some cases, this means the owner or the nominated representative will not be able to visit local businesses to purchase supplies. They should travel with the tools and equipment they need. The use of local contractors is strongly encouraged. A list of local contractors who undertake fire preparation works can be found HERE

My parents live in regional Victoria. Can I travel to help them prepare their property for emergencies?

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne or another Restricted Area, you cannot travel to regional Victoria to help family or friends prepare their property, unless you provide care or support to them because they have particular needs including age, infirmity, disability, illness, chronic health condition or matters relating to health. 

When you are doing essential emergency preparation work, you should be mindful of the risks of transmitting COVID-19 to elderly people. Older people are especially vulnerable to COVID-19. Keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres between yourself and your parents and wear a face mask. You should not hug or kiss them. 

What if I am unable to apply online?

If you are unable to complete your application online for the following reasons: 

  • You are unable to read or write in English and you have no one who can assist you. 
  • You do not have access to a smart device or computer that has access to the internet. 

You may call Council on (03) 5366 7100 and a customer service officer will assist you in completing your application. 

What other options are available?

If you can’t travel from metro Melbourne (or another regional area) to complete the works yourself, we recommend contacting a regional based contractor to undertake the works. A list of local contractors who undertake fire preparation works can be found HERE

Where can I find more information?

Go to Coronavirus Victoria: What to do in an emergency for more information.