Water flow from neighbouring properties

When water flows along the natural contours of the land, the property owner is responsible to design the house and landscaping to minimise the flow.

The property owner must protect the building structures by installing private drainage. The internal drainage layout in the design takes the water flows into account.

During a major flood, Council may take emergency action on private property to divert flood waters. We will not normally intervene as it risks becoming legally liable for any subsequent damage to property.

Council will get involved when the property owner:

  • Fails to follow a planning permit or has acted without one
  • Fails to follow a building permit or has acted without one
  • Has created a ‘public health’ issue