Building information

House under construction

Council's Building Unit is required under the Building Act 1993 & Building Regulations 2018 to provide information to the public including:

  • Property Information for new constructions
  • Property Information for existing buildings constructed in the previous 10 years
  • Report and Consent (Dispensations)

You may be penalised for not complying with building regulations.

An architect and building surveyor will be able to provide advice about the permits required for your project.

If you are building, renovating or changing the way you use your property, you may need a planning permit and a building permit. Most building works do require a building permit.

These are examples of building works that require a building permit:

Deck under construction image   Retaining Wall photo   Verandah photo  

Frequently Asked Questions

When is a building permit required?

A building permit is required for most building works unless exempted under Schedule 3 of the Building Regulations 2018.

The Victorian Building Authority pdf document When-is-a-Building-Permit-Required(PDF, 903KB)  provides specific advice on when a building permit is required for certain works.

If you are still unsure please contact Council on 5366 7100 or for further clarification.

What is the difference between a building permit and a planning permit?

A planning permit does not remove the need to obtain a building permit. Building permits relate specifically to the carrying out of building construction, where as planning permits are legal documents giving permission for a land use or development. Go to Council’s page to make a planning permit application.

Related Information

Build Over an Easement
Building Forms